The Tribrid (Fantasy, Action)

Review date: January 11, 2023

Author: creativemind89

FIRST IMPRESSION: 5/5

COVER: 4/5

TITLE: 5/5

The title, above all, caught my attention. I've never heard of it before, let alone read about it. So, I really had to give this one a chance. I had the itch to search for what it meant. But due to the fact that it may or may not be a word, I let it be first. Meaning, I didn't know exactly what a Tribrid is. I usually have to search for what a word means but in this case, I'd let the book do the talking. This is a good sign actually–attracting the reader with a catchy title that isn't surely known but would entice them to open the book. The title isn't too high-tech or fancy to the ears when pronounced. It's enough and intriguing the way it is.

My main focus was the eye which has irises of two different colors, red and blue. One eye with one color could represent any genre if used properly, realistically speaking. But in this case, it's different. The duality in the colors told me that the story would be a fantasy book, given that I felt a sense of transformation and magic. Personally, I'd like to know what genre the book would fall under just by looking at the cover. And in this case, the title and cover were able to catch the essence of a fantasy book, which I found satisfying. 

Though the image of the eye gave away the message and strong undertone, it doesn't look that realistic. Realistic, in the sense that it needs an eyebrow. The absence of the eyebrow gives space to the title, but I really do suggest putting one while the text adjusts. The text could also have a different font or effect, perhaps something that could match the melody of the well-crafted eye.

BLURB: 6/10

"Devorah struggles with the physical and mental prison she is trapped in. Being viewed as a monster and abomination for what she is could be the downfall of her life all together.

Being born a Hybrid, she is quickly transformed into a Tribrid by the use of black magic. She is a vampire, a werewolf, and a witch all mixed into one fragile body.

Attempting to maintain the balance between good and evil, Devorah will have to test her boundaries and abilities in order to survive.

However, when she is given a proposition from her captor, a mental battle between accepting or declining will begin and test every ounce of her being."

The blurb doesn't drift from the theme. I'm finally given a definition of what a Tribrid is. I love the length. It's not too long, and not too short. The gist is crystal clear, but what I can suggest is an addition of a conflict.

Yes, Devorah is a Tribrid and she must fight for her survival and she has to test her boundaries and abilities. It also follows by saying that she is given a proposition from her captor. It didn't take too much time for me to process the spirit of the blurb, but I felt that there's a missing link between the two ideas.

My suggestions for the missing link are:

Briefly stating who Devorah is. Is she a student? A college student in debt? A loner?

What exactly is the problem that must be resolved in the book?

Who or what is the captor?

The last sentence is laudable, as it delivers the trial or the point where Devorah is put through her paces.

"Being viewed as a monster and abomination for what she is could be the downfall of her life all together."

 Also, personally, the author could fix the 'monster and abomination' part, since they mean the same thing in the context of the blurb.

Though, I'd like to point out that I observed the usage of some words in the blurb. Use 'altogether' instead of 'all together.'

'Altogether means 'completely."

'All together means 'everyone together' or 'everything together.'

PLOT: 20/20

Anyway, there's no preface or prologue to the chapter and it proceeds with Chapter One. That's okay, though! That will remain at the discretion and taste of the author.

In the beginning, I found it a very smart move how the war opens the story. I perceived the weight of the drama with how powerful the words are, especially the adjectives used in ways I didn't know could be used. I could just imagine the agony and suffering of the characters. It's amusing, really. 

Even in the start, I felt the resistance and the pain–from Devorah's parents Lillian and Finn who were beheaded and Victoria burned on a stake to Devorah held captive as she was tortured in a cell. To witness the gory, violent events in themselves can be disturbing. But in this case, it didn't bother me one bit. It's written well, though the setting isn't in a bright or vivid element. The blurb was finally making sense to me, so I really recommend putting forward the consideration to fix the blurb so it does the story justice. Trust me.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: 20/20

DESCRIPTION: 15/15

WRITING STYLE: 10/10

Studying the next parts, I love how the transition is spot-on. I love how it moves on to Devorah, who has turned twenty-one and is brought to The Council to face Lina. The tension built up from there, and it was consistent.

I like the timing, and how defenseless Devorah was in the beginning. The author apparently didn't hold back writing something that is not exactly full of butchery, rather giving strength to someone who was once powerless and whose "odds are not in her favor" due to her physical and mental capacity. It doesn't make the character weak or unfavorable. On the contrary, it made me feel sympathy for the character. I'm rooting for Devorah. I also consider it a strength in a story how a character can identify the flaws. 

However, I also spotted a wrong word in the fifth chapter.

"Saliva dripped from his mouth at the site of Devorah..."

It should be, "Saliva dripped from his mouth at the sight of Devorah..."

I don't think there's so much to fix. I already love it the way it is.

The entire thing is beautiful. No questions asked. 

GRAMMAR/PUNCTUATION: 10/10

OVERALL: 95/100

This book has so much potential, and I'm honored to read it.

Thank you for trusting me in reviewing your book! <3, Isabelle