Lawless Heaven (Historical Fiction, Dystopian)

Review date: Feb 15, 2023

Author: AshlynLynx

FIRST IMPRESSION: 5/5

COVER: 4/5

TITLE: 5/5

When I laid my eyes on the cover, I saw how unique the contrast is (black and the somehow silver effect for that matter). That's a good impression on me since quite frankly, it actually worked. I also absorbed its uniqueness as it intrigued me at once, especially the subject and what I assume to be a system of stars. But whether they were stars or glitters, I thought they were still pretty and pleasing. If I may also point out, placing the subject whose back is facing the reader is also a good choice.

The cover kept me guessing, but in a very good way and not in a confusing, "What's this supposed to be?" way. I like the font used as well, but I suggest enlarging the text to highlight how pretty the cover is, especially the author's name at the bottom of the cover. I can barely see the name of the author unless I zoom in.

I'm a really big fan of the title and I don't need to dig deeper into it to grasp it. It's very easy to recall and also catchy in many ways. "Heaven" is authentically about a place of paradise and rest. "Lawless" literally means that there is no law, but rather freedom. Putting those words together was a product of clever consideration. So, I like how it sounds. "Lawless Heaven" is going to stay in my head for sure.

BLURB: 8/10

"Christians aren't necessarily good people, Eli. They're just forgiven."

The blurb is only presented in one sentence. One sentence. But even with how short it is, it was powerful to me. Full of meaning that is bracing and solid with a premise that firmly stands on its ground. No playing tricks, or beating around the bush. It's impactful.

It didn't have to be long at all. The author was able to pull off the style of writing one sentence only, and the best part is that it even comes from a dialogue in the book. The author doesn't even have to tell who Eli is or what the backstory of the characters is but in my opinion.

But still, I would suggest some more information to get a hold of the context before anything. The author could introduce who Eli is or what brought him to certain situations. Either way, good job on this one.

PLOT: 20/20

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: 20/20

DESCRIPTION: 15/15

WRITING STYLE: 10/10

GRAMMAR PUNCTUATION: 10/10

I like how the goal of the first part is already written straight to the point.

The first chapter is where the Orator was described physically in a simple manner, but the writing in itself gave me what his aura was like through his actions. It was showing me instead of telling me who the Orator is and what his role is in the book.

Anyway, the Orator needed volunteers for a sacrifice that year. He needed volunteers and some stepped forward. They come in three, two young boys and an adult–Eli, the Fellow, and another boy named Amias. They prepare as the Orator arranges their funerals. That's basically the main gist of the opening of Chapter One. I have to take in how the story is as equally as intriguing as my first impression.

What I could witness is how the characters are so devoted to their own beliefs and traditions, that they present themselves as an offering. The exciting thing about it is that Eli is consoled by bittersweet words ("Heaven is a Better Place") since it shows that sacrifice seems to be an annual thing.

To be honest, it was just getting better and better as I read. It started to smartly incorporate religious themes and slavery, but not to the point that is derogatory.

The Orator acts more of a governing and higher being in my perspective, which I thought made the story darker. Melody reminds the reader of human instinct because of her love for flowers. It makes so much sense to me because she seems to be in contrast with the air in the story.

Another thing I like aside from the storyline are the deep, worth-telling dialogues in the story. They're realistic of course. Natural, and although uncommon, gripping. These are dialogues I don't encounter every day, but they sound like only the learned say those.

The writing style manages to be consistent and colorful. It touched on my imagination. I really like how the language was used and the play of words.

OVERALL: 97/100

To sum up my review, I'd say this is a dark, yet good book with a toppingly made story.

Thank you for trusting me in reviewing your book! <3, Isabelle