Your Lie in April: Across the Multiverse (Fanfiction)

Review date: January 16, 2023

Author: ShockTrooperCorps

*I've already reviewed this book before but not in an in-depth manner since the author asked what I think :)*

FIRST IMPRESSION: 4/5

COVER: 3/5

TITLE: 5/5

FUN FACT: This book won 2nd Place in the Moonly Awards hosted by me.

The use of the preposition 'across' expresses movement, which, for me, is catchy and unique. I didn't mind having a long title, since "Your Lie in April" and "Across the Multiverse" work together and didn't sound like they meshed in one title without consideration. I was given a hint of what it would be about, but in a way that doesn't make me feel that I spoiled the story for myself. On the contrary, I was actually fascinated and drawn to it. I knew I'd keep reading. So, it's a very good impression. The cover, however, isn't bad or an eyesore, but I don't think it fits the theme. It looks like the cover of a romance book, with the evident girl with blonde hair being held by a boy with black hair. It doesn't seem to match the fierceness of the prologue, which I'll be diving into later.

BLURB: 9/10

Kousei Arima's world has come to a fiery end.

As if losing the beautiful, free-spirited Kaori Miyazono two months ago wasn't enough, a hellfire of nuclear missiles suddenly descended upon his home just as he was about to enjoy another spring. As far as Arima knows, he is the sole survivor of the unexpected apocalypse. Trapped in his fallout shelter by debris, he has no choice except to ration out his meals and wait to die.

Then, suddenly, Kousei is rescued by two unlikely allies: Black Widow, last surviving member of the Avengers, and Arnim Zola, a dismembered consciousness now in an Ultron drone's body. Just when Kousei thinks things couldn't get any weirder, two strange beings emerge from a portal in the sky. One is a sorcerer of unmatched skill; the other is a celestial guardian of ALL universes. And according to them, HE, Kousei...has been chosen.

The blurb is brilliant. It's very simple but strong, given the first sentence.

This is a fanfiction featuring the Avengers. The blurb opens with the world of Kousei Arima coming to a 'fiery end.' This is straightforward but executed properly and smartly. The first sentence is then backed up by two more paragraphs. Kousei's degree of despair gradually worsens as the author enumerates the scenarios–losing Kaori, a hellfire of nuclear missiles, realizing he's the survivor of an apocalypse, trapped in a fallout shelter, and having no choice except to ration out his meals and want to die. Although the main character doesn't have to go through so much hell to be empathized with, Kousei Arima gained my attention and sympathy.

In the next paragraph, I see the intention to provide both relief and adventure to the story by telling who the rescuers are and their stories. And it said that according to these rescuers, Kousei had been chosen.

Overall, I enjoyed the blurb itself already! No part of it made me feel tired or bored.

PLOT: 20/20

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: 20/20

DESCRIPTION: 15/15

Moving onto the prologue, the action doesn't take place immediately, but it gives away the thrill and excitement. I love how Kousei is narrated to be up against another character (I won't spill) since it provides a comparison of power and strength. Though as a bonus, I have to point out that the names are also very catchy and remarkable. I'm also particular about the word choice and the author has done it in ways I never thought could be used.

The first chapter was a really good introduction. I could see even in the beginning that there really is a strong bond between Kousei and Kaori, with the way the nightmare was written when it showed losing Kaori herself. In conclusion, the next few parts spare time for Kousei to grieve over the loss of Kaori.

WRITING STYLE: 8/10

Though I love how the information was in an appropriate and effective order, I wouldn't really suggest dividing a chapter in a manner that isn't uniform. This is in the case of Doctor Strange and The Watcher watching over Kousei and also contemplating his mission. But still, I'd leave the length of each division to the choice of the author since it was written nicely anyway and I have no problem with that at all.

Even in the first chapter, I've already observed how good the pacing is. It's not exhaustingly slow nor as fast as giving me a whiplash. The chosen theme was finally giving justice as I read along. I love how easy and effective this is. It doesn't make me overthink the entire thing. The plot is very creative and I'd never read anything like this before. I don't want to spoil any further so readers can save the excitement and enjoy this masterpiece.

GRAMMAR/PUNCTUATION: 10/10

Though the use of words and descriptions was effortless and persuasive, I didn't find any grammatical errors or any punctuation issues. So, nice one!

OVERALL: 94/100

I enjoyed reading this book so much. Creative and efficient elements woven into this book are evident.

Thank you for trusting me in reviewing your book! <3, Isabelle