Chapter 3

TW for cancer treatment and kidnapping

'Hey.'

Cordell woke with a start at the soft voice coming from above him, having drifted off to sleep sometime during the night. He sat up, his muscles protesting as he did so. Lying on cold concrete wasn't exactly a comfy bed and to add to his misery, his clothes were still damp from earlier on; not that he cared to relive that situation.

Rubbing his eyes, he finally replied to the feminine voice coming from above him, wondering if perhaps he had started hearing things. 'Hey.'

'Hey.' Came the reply.

No, he wasn't hearing things.

Whoever was above him was talking to him.

'Hey. Hey. You... you-you're, uh, you're talking. Is it safe?'

'No. No, they'll do a wake-up soon.'

'Are we on the same schedule?'

'I can't tell.'

'Who are you?' Cordell questioned as he stood, walking over closer to the pipe. 'What's your name?'

'Listen, they want you to be the new guy.' The voice from upstairs replied instead of answering his question.

He frowned. 'Well, who's the old guy?'

'You know. Fenton.'

'How do you know?'

'I'm a reporter.'

Things were slowly beginning to make sense... 'Is that why they have you?'

'Yes.'

'Why are they letting us talk?'

'They want you to have hope. They want you to have hope so they can take it away. Because once they break you, they're there to pick you up.'

'Yeah. Well, they could've told you to say that.'

'You have a brother?'

He didn't have a chance to reply for the door leading out of the room opened, Sean and his two thugs walking in.

'Gentlemen.' Cordell greeted with a sneer, Sean's two thugs taking hold of him and pushed him back roughly into the bars behind him.

'Hey, big guy.' Sean exclaimed as he walked in, holding in his hands the stun gun.

'Hey,' He replied. 'morning.'

'Early morning. Trying to get a move on. Yeah. So...' Sean sighed heavily. 'Are you ready to be done with this part yet?'

Cordell just glared at him in defiance.

~~~~

The Ranger's were ready before dawn, arriving under the cover of the night at the warehouse Cassie had identified. All the rangers from the Austin office were there wearing bulletproof vests, guns in hand as one of them went ahead and cut the chain locking the gate closed with a pair of bolt cutters.

Cassie was close to James as they all silently began walking into the complex, her flashlight shining on the mural that had been in the photograph. 'Hey, Cap.' She motioned towards the painting.

James nodded. 'Yeah.'

~~~~

'Hey. Hey. Hey,' Sean started as he gave Cordell a chance to speak, his two thugs picking the ranger up off the floor and holding him standing. He was really starting to lose his patience with this man. He'd already gone through being electrocuted and waterboarded yesterday and again electrocuted with the stun gun today. What was it going to take to break him? If milder measures didn't work... 'Hey, hey, hey. Look at me. Look at me.' He commanded, Cordell finally looking at him after a moment, their eyes meeting. 'I'm ready to quit when you are, really. Okay? Say the word.'