Chapter 5

*TW for kidnapping, torture*

Cassie stood in the main office, looking at the vision board on the wall as she tried to think of any other connections they may have missed. It had to be connected to that shootout, Miles, Fenton, that whole entire rats nest of a mess. There was no other possible explanation.

She just couldn't help but feel like there was something missing.

It was already going on the third day that Cordell had been missing and they weren't any closer to finding a decent lead. Now though, with Liam and Maddie having been taken too time was definitely against them. They had to find them. Soon.

'All right, we were able to render the photo.' Larry started as he came in to join her in the office, a print out of the photo in his hand. 'They're still working on getting the security camera footage from the hospital but at least we've got a start here.'

Cassie reached for the paper, taking a look at the picture. 'The van that took Walker?'

'We got a plate, but it's bogus.'

She sighed as she looked at the photo. 'Well, no shocker there...' She frowned. 'Wait a second.'

'What's up?'

'This is a manifest of all the fake plates made at the chop shop Miles was investigating.' Cassie ran her finger down a list of plate numbers laid out on the table until she found the matching one. 'Uh-huh.' She looked back at the Captain. 'This van plate's one of them.'

'Really?'

'Mm-hmm.' She handed him the list. 'Let me go talk to Miles.'

'Perez, we've been through this.' Larry replied, returning the list to the table.

'Maybe he knows more about whoever was driving the van.'

'No, Miles told us everything he knew.'

'Because we weren't asking the right questions.' Cassie pointed out. 'Come on, Cap.'

'I'll coordinate with the Marshals. I'll see if I can get you access. Okay?'

'Oh, that-that could take a couple of weeks. He's still in transitional holding. Let me go down there...'

'Perez, no!' He cut her off. 'They're putting him in WITSEC for a reason. What are you gonna do? You gonna charge down there unannounced, out of protocol? No, it's just gonna make things harder. We don't need the Feds hassling us. Listen, I want to find him, too. And Liam and Maddie. We got to do it the right way.'

Cassie nodded.

Seeing Stella walk past the window he started to the door. 'Look, I got to... I got to deal with this. I will handle Miles, you focus on the current leads. Are we clear?'

'Yes sir.'

'Good.'

Leaving the office he walked out into the main room, Stella coming over to him when she saw him. 'Stella Blue. How you holding up?'

'Okay, given the circumstances.' She replied softly as he invited her for a hug. 'Have you guys found Dad yet?'

'No, not yet.' He held her tight for a moment then looked down at her as he let her go again. 'Why isn't there someone with you?'

'Pardon?'

'I sent a security detail to the ranch. If one of you need to leave the ranch a police officer is supposed to be with you.'

Stella frowned. 'Why?'

'You don't know?'

'Know what?'