Chapter 12

*TW- Mentions of kidnapping, captivity, torture and underage drinking*

Abeline was seated on the couch in the living room, working away on her knitting when Bonham and Maddie returned to the house. 'How did it go?' She questioned, glancing over at Maddie as she wheeled herself through the front door, Bonham closing it behind her. 'How was your therapy?'

'I walked Mawline, I walked!' Maddie replied, emotion thick in her voice as she stopped her chair in front of the couch. 'For the first time in months, I can walk again.'

'Oh honey, that's wonderful.' Placing her knitting aside she gave the girl a great big bear hug, holding her tight. 'I'm so proud of you sweetheart. Well done.'

She smiled, hugging her grandmother back. 'Thank you.' After a moment she pulled away, looking up at Bonham as he joined them in the living room. 'I even walked on my own two feet without holding onto the rails for a couple steps. Ask Grampa, he saw me.'

'She did too.' Bonham replied as Abeline turned to him and he took a seat in his recliner across from them. 'Last three steps she took all on her own.'

'That is such great news Maddie.'

Maddie nodded, still smiling a little. 'I'm just glad I'm able to walk again, even if it were only for a little bit. Tilly said I'm to start walking a little each day along with my other exercises so hopefully soon I won't need this damn wheelchair anymore.'

'Well just make sure you don't push yourself too much.' Abeline cautioned her with concern. 'You don't want to make yourself go backwards.'

'No, I know. And I'll admit, that little bit has really taken it out of me.' She glanced over at the clock. 'I think I might go lie down for a while and get some rest. I'll have lunch later, if that's okay?'

'That's fine honey. I'll leave yours aside in the fridge.'

'Thank you.' Wheeling herself backwards she started towards her bedroom then stopped, turning back to her grandparents. 'Can we... Can we keep this just between us three? For now? I want to tell Dad and the others myself tonight.'

Abeline nodded in understanding. 'That's alright. We won't say anything.'

'Great.' She smiled. 'I can't wait to tell Dad. He's gonna be so happy.'

~~~~~

Abeline was in the kitchen later that evening, preparing dinner for the family when a knock sounded on the door. 'Coming.' She called out as she quickly washed her hands from peeling the potatoes then wiped her hands on her apron as she walked through the house to the front door. 'Colton.' She greeted with a smile. 'Evening.'

'Evening Mrs. Walker. Is Maddie around? I've been trying to get hold of her this afternoon but she's not replying to my messages.'

'She could still be sleeping, she's been quite tired today.' She motioned for him to come in and she closed the door behind him. 'You're welcome to take a seat in the living room and I'll go check on her.'

'Thank you.'

'No problem. Would you like a drink or something while you wait?'

'Oh no, I'm fine. Thanks.'

'Alright. I won't be long.'

Colton took a seat on the couch as Abeline made her way up the hallway to Maddie's bedroom, knocking softly on the door for a moment before she quietly opened it. At first glance Maddie seemed to be peacefully asleep but after observing her for a second she realized that she was crying in her sleep. You poor darlin... She thought, her heart hurting for her. She'd read the magazine article that her son had given an interview for to the journalist. What he went through was enough to give anyone nightmares.