Chapter 13

Hi all!

Since this week is my birthday week (turning big 22 tomorrow) I thought I'd give you all a little treat in the form of a double update! I'll be posting again on Friday morning (since I'm in AU, #Walker day is on a Friday lol) to celebrate the return of Walker and give you all two chapters in one week.

We do have a trigger warning for panic attacks and underage drinking for this chapter, this is definitely one of the less pleasant chapters in this story but also a pivotal point in the story-line.

Anyway, enjoy :)

Saturday morning dawned bright and clear, not a single cloud to be seen in the crisp, blue sky. Maddie sat in the shade on the front porch, watching a couple finches eating from the bird-feeder hung off a post nearby. She smiled a little at seeing them and hearing their cheery little chirps. She was envious of the birds. So happy, free, without a care in the world.

A moment later, they flew away and she let out a sigh as she saw them disappear into the trees across the driveway. She'd been enjoying watching them. It was a welcome distraction from what was going on inside her mind. After she'd read that article about her father on Thursday night she'd begun to understand that he was struggling. Of course he was, even despite the fact he was still trying to convince them all otherwise. Coming to that realization though didn't make things any easier for her. Was it too much to ask that her father be here for her?

With all her heart, she wanted her father back.

Wanted to feel safe again.

Wanted to feel loved.

Taking a look down at her watch she saw that only five minutes had dragged by since she'd last checked the time. She was waiting for Mika and Elizabeth to arrive. They were going to go on a trail ride together. Maddie hadn't been sure at all about going on a trail ride with them but they'd talked her into it. They were right. She couldn't hide inside the house forever though she kinda wished that she could, even if these days home only felt half safe.

Resting back in her wheelchair her thoughts drifted back to the day before. She'd had her last session with that stupid councilor. There was no way she was seeing that guy again. Yesterday had been the last straw for her. Her patience with him was gone. He wasn't committed to helping her get better, not like her previous councilor. She had been great. It was just a shame that she had changed jobs and she'd been given this dude to speak to instead. He hadn't helped her at all. If anything he had made things worse and so, after hanging up her zoom call with him mid session she had sent him a message that she wouldn't be needing his services anymore.

The next hurdle was to tell that to her father.

That could wait though. She didn't particularly feel like telling him there and then.

Hearing the sound of a vehicle coming up the drive she turned to that direction, half smiling for a moment as she recognized it to be one of Briar Ridge's rigs. Wheeling herself down to the drive she stopped, Mika bringing the truck to a stop as she rolled the window down.

'Where do you want me to park?'

'Down by the girls' paddock. We'll tack up down there.'

'Right. See you down there.'

Maddie waited until she had driven on then followed the truck and trailer down the drive to where her horses were pastured. Mika and Elizabeth were out of the vehicle by the time she joined them, her two friends coming over to give her a hug. 'Hey.' She greeted, Mika hugging her first then Elizabeth. 'Sorry I haven't been talkative this week, I've just had things happening and stuff...'