Chapter 7- Nice meeting you

Small Heath had never been peaceful especially in the midst of the rushing workers and school kids but today it was even more hectic with shouts coming from all around. As Lana weaves through the crowded street, which would normally only take a few seconds on a regular journey but this morning take at least a couple minutes, she realises that a man grabs onto her arm. In a swift motion she is facing the person who had a firm grip on her and realise that this man must be the famous Campbell.

"Pardon Miss Renee, is it?" The greying man firmly speaks already confirming that he was the inspector as his Irish accent becomes more prominent. Leaving no room for Lana to confirm he clears his throat and drops her wrist in disgust. "Word is your quite the troublemaker." 

"I'm sorry Inspector Campbell is it?" Lana cuts in with a sarcastic smile and wipes down her arm with a look of all the disgust she could muster. The inspector stops short with a tight lipped smile and Lana quickly speaks up again copying his previous actions. "I don't have time as I have productive work to do so please cut the crap and get on with what you really want to say to me." 

A angry yell comes from behind the blonde as her and the inspector hold a hard glare trying to be intimidating to the other but within a few seconds the stubby grey man breaks it with a sigh and steps forwards towards Lana. 

"Quite the tongue you got as well, I'm surprised Thomas Shelby likes you. Word is your his little whore not that I need you to confirm it as I saw him leave your house the other day. Tell me what's a pretty young thing like you doing with a beast of a man like him?" Campbell grins as he watches the woman's face falter under his harsh words causing a fire to burn under her skin. Taking a look over the woman Campbell thought he had won power over her as she flinched away from his cruel words but in reality he started a fire he couldn't distinguish. 

"Clearly Inspector, you need to do your research because you would have known that nothing happened had happened. Not that it is any of your creepy business." Lana spits as she looks over the clearly older man, observing the way his grubby thick hands clench into a fist before stroking his moustache in thought. Repulsion shoots through her and instantly she is sickened by this man in front of her. 

"So you deem that your not a whore?" He questions with a sly smirk and Lana bites down on her tongue, clenching her itching fists that so desperately want to connect with his face. 

"No, I make an honest living." Lana snarled doing her best to keep all the vile words from flowing out of her mouth but the way the man scoffs makes it so hard to hold herself back. 

It was clear that the two were in a heated discussion, one that looked vain and loosely controlled which is why all the rushing people did their best to avoid them knowing exactly who both people were. 

"There is nothing honest about your little boyfriend or you, don't make me laugh." The inspector laughed and everyone around them slowly started to clear leaving the streets clearer. Lana was unsure if she liked the fact that it was just her, Campbell and one other man rushing to work because it meant that if this man did something it was unlikely anyone would see but it also meant she could get away with a lot more as well. 

"I'll only warn you once inspector, watch what you say to me or it won't end the way you want it to." Lana started as she took a step back from the man so that she was just far enough where he couldn't grab her easily. 

"I think you are forgetting that we are alone, I could do whatever I wanted and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it." The words fill the air with such confidence that Lana shivers at the suggestion laced in them, the meaning that Campbell intended to convey. A rush of emotion fell over Lana and she took a step forwards quickly, anger overtaking her senses. 

"I promise you now I can make sure you regret even thinking them words." Lana snarled causing Campbell to smirk happily at her. Her skin crawled and she had to fight the fear away and replace it with anger if she was even going to get away from this man. 

"A dainty woman like yourself? What are you going to do?" Campbell laughed with the intent to mock Lana but Lana brushed over it as the unrealised pressure rang in her ears. 

"Imma punch you in your face. Keep talking and I'll confiscate your motherfucking lips bitch, with your scary ass face." The words are uttered without a second to spare and for a moment both her and the inspector were shocked at them until his arm reaches out for her once again. 

Lana grinds her teeth together and takes her fist to his nose, a wet thwack sounds due to the connection and within a second layer a pop sounds through the air. A gush of blood flows from his now crocked nose and the wounded man looks up at her shocked. She gives a daunting smirk and blows him a get well kiss before turning on her heels and making her way back to work, wiping her wet hand in her dress. 

*

The den was in full swing as Lana turns up late for the day but nobody says anything or batters an eye in her direction as they rush around. Lana smiles thankfully at the outcome as no questions or entertained stares from men bombard the exhausted woman. 

With a grin she slings down into her chair of her desk and leans back to take in the familiarity, the overwhelming feeling from earlier on leaving her. Unfortunately though her short lived peace is interrupted by a stern woman glaring down at her. She was about to mumble something light-hearted but seeing the look on Polly's face she quickly clamps her lips shut and patiently waits for the comments that were on the tip of the older woman's tongue. 

"What time do you call this?" Polly asks as she sets a stack of papers on the side of desk. Lana opens her mouth to mutter an apology but Polly quickly interrupts her, changing the topic away from Lana. "Ada's pregnant but you already knew that didn't you?" 

"Listen Pol, I ran into a distressed Ada and she confounded in me. I promised her I wouldn't tell anyone but It doesn't mean I didn't take things into my own hands." Lana sighs at the heavy conversation it will be but it didn't help her wanting to smack her head against her oak desk. 

"What did you do?" Polly asked with a slight amused smile but it quickly fell when she realised that Lana was trouble and whatever it was wasn't peaceful. "What did you do?" 

"I gave her baby daddy a little visit outside his work place." Lana grins remembering the encounter with Freddie but it quickly faltered as Polly frowned. 

"Lana! God you and Tommy are so alike. You better if not scared the poor boy away." Polly gasped which made Lana's grin return as she stared up at the woman all innocently. Polly wasn't fooled as she took her hand and swatted the back of her head. 

"Ouch Pol! No I warned him not to run away, he wouldn't get far, proved that." Lana exclaimed as she stood up and made her way past Polly towards the kitchen for a strong drink. The morning had been a little too hectic for Lana's liking. 

"Good." Polly praised as she followed the young woman into the kitchen and watched her pour a glass of Irish whiskey. A frown settles on her face as Lana downs it and places the glass into the sink. "What's gone on?" 

"There's work to do. I was late remember, don't want the big bad man to come and cut me for not following the rules." Polly laughs before shaking her head at the descending figure of the blonde woman she thought of as a daughter. Work was waiting and there was no time to waist.