Chapter 14- John's proposal

Small Heaths streets were filled with rushing people trying to get from one place to another and as Lana guided the four children in and out of inconsiderate strangers she began to feel frustrated by her choice. Lana was helping John by dropping his children, her nieces and nephews, off at school because he was in a rush to go somewhere before their shifts started but as Lana looked at her watch she realised that she was going to be late for work.

"Your bloody farther." Lana exclaimed as she looked over her nieces and nephews to make sure that they were all okay. "He's going to make me late for work."

"Auntie Lana?" One of her nieces called as they approached the schools gate. The young girl was visibly nervous which made Lana instantly feel bad for even uttering a word about their farther.

"Yes, Katie?" Lana answered kindly as she crouched down in front of the children, a small smile on her face.

"Do we have to go to school? I don't like it." Katie questioned as she looked up at her aunt with pleading eyes. Lana felt a tug at her heartstrings as she looked over her niece but she had no choice but to send them into school today. Lana couldn't look after them and neither could Polly or John today which is why they needed a mother even though it pains Lana to admit that.

"I'm sorry guys but there's no other option. Believe me if I could keep you home today I would've." Lana replied sincerely hoping that the children could understand. Katie nodded with a frown before she turned to her siblings and signalled them to follow her into school. Lana hugged each one of the children and watched from the gate as they entered the school.

*

Lana had just walked through the betting den doors when John popped out from the side of the room causing Lana to jump back holding her right hand over her heart. After a couple of seconds the blondes heart started to calm down so she took a step closer to John and smacked him playfully in his chest which made the blonde man laugh.

"John you bloody idiot! You scared the shit out of me." Lana gasped as she walked past the younger Shelby and placed her bag down gently on one of the tables in the further end of the room. The den was quiet with only Scudboat sat behind the desk where the bets are taken.

"Family meeting at the Garrisons." John announces as he rocks on the heels of his feet, a shy boyish smile on his face. Lana scanned over him and let out a frustrated sigh as she readjusted her cap on top of her head.

"And you couldn't of told me earlier when I picked your kids up?" Lana complained as she looked over Scudboat unsure about leaving him alone in the shop. Although she trusted the large man she couldn't help but think that another should stay with him.

"I forgot." John mumbled as he took out a toothpick from his pocket, dragging it over his bottom lip before placing it between his two dry lips. Lana watched in boredom as she waited patiently for him to pay attention to her again.

"Course you did. Who's taking over our places while we're away?" Lana questioned curiously as she looked between the lone man and John. John followed her gaze before realising that she wouldn't be happy about it just being Scudboat alone in the shop.

"We're only going to be gone for ten minutes at most." John reassured as he started to make his way back to the betting den doors. He knew Lana wouldn't like his answer and was hoping that he could get away before she asked anymore questions.

"And Thomas is okay with that?" Lana raised an eyebrow as she watched the man shy away from her.

"His idea. They'll meet you there." John called out as he opened the door and slipped out of it, leaving Lana behind.