Chapter 13- business is business

"John we're late, there's no time to stop for a piss! Arthur's going to be pissed either way." Lana teased as both her and the Shelby man walked arm in arm down the muddy lane and into Charlie's yard where a large group of men where all stood around waiting with Arthur standing on a crate. It was all silent except for the sound of Arthur yelling over the wind.

"Alright Arthur!" John yelled happily as the pair rounded the corner and dropped the crate of weapons onto the floor underneath Arthur. It made a clatter as the metal hit the hard pebbled floor.

"Right! This is what's known as your final briefing before going over the top." Arthur smiled as he looked down at the group below him, taking in the eager faces and the way they're lips tipped up at the sides of their mouths. To Arthur being in charge was thrilling and he missed when it was him who was the boss and not Thomas but he would begrudgingly admit that his younger brother was simply better, smarter at what they did than he was and so he settled with the role he got.

"He proper likes ordering these men around, doesn't he?" Lana whispered to John with a small smirk and John tilted his head to smile at her in a response.

"Loves it but don't we all, love." John answered back quietly as they watched Arthur smile triumphantly down at the medium sized group.

"Sixty miles down that road is Cheltenham racetrack." Arthur continued as he lifts his right hand to point into the distance off to his right. "Johnny, what's our mission, boy?"

"To stick it to the Lee family, Arthur!" John yelled as he leant back and grinned. Arthur smiled back down at him and Lana had to clamp her hand over her mouth to muffle her giggle.

"That's right. The Lee's are skimming money off the legal bookies. Running chalk, selling rafflers, then beating up them as won't buy." Arthur explained as he walked up and down the line the group had created with a small smile on his face. "But today we're going to stop them."

Lana raised her hand up in the air as if she was school and waiting to be picked on to share her answer but she didn't wait to be called on as she questioned Arthur. "What about Kimber's men, Arthur? He has his own protection."

"Kimber's let his troops go rotten. They're on the take from the Lees to look the other way." Arthur stated as he grinned at Lana's question. Lana smiled back at the taller man before looking around at the group of men who'd be helping them today.

"So what we're going to show them how it's done?" Lana spoke as she watched Arthur strut away from her and John and to the other end of the line before turning back around to grin at her.

"Correct." Arthur smiled as he walked back to the old rust box that was full of the weapons they were going to use today. Everyone watched in silence as he popped open the box with his foot and moved to stand beside it.

"Now take what you're good at." The older man spoke as he observed the men rushing to grab their different choices of weapons. "Those of you with guns, keep them out of it unless a guns pulled on you. We want this done quietly."

"One question though, what is a woman doing here?" A random more chubbier man with black hair and a short beard spoke confidently which caused everyone to still as they waited for a response.

"This woman is more powerful than you and you'd do well to remember that." John spat as he glared at the brave man in front of him.

"She doesn't look very dangerous. More like a pretty little butterfly." The man grinned as he looked Lana up and down which made her shiver.

"Well if you want to know, I'm the devil." Lana sweetly spoke as she stepped towards him. Within the blink of an eye she had raised her fist and struck him straight in the jaw causing a small crunch as his head spun to the side. "I'm going easy as your a member now but just know next time I won't."