Chapter 8- Bad day?

The Peaky Blinders waltz into the Garrisons with faces void of emotion and a dangerous demeanour around them, not only startling but silencing the entire pub with their presence. Breaths suck in as the group walks past everyone and makes their way into their little private snug, only once the door closes behind the group do people let their breaths out.

"Monaghan boy has at least the whole garrisons betting on him." John began to brag as he pulled the toothpick out of his mouth and ran it across his lips, eyes trailing from Thomas to Polly waiting for their approval. Lana watched John act like he was a dog waiting for a treat as she walked over to her chair and slumped into it, a small scoff slipping from her lips as she saw a big grin spread on Johns face when Thomas clapped his shoulder in approval.

"That's what I like to hear, Johnny boy." Thomas smiled before slumping into the seat across from Lana, next to John. Her scoff has gone unnoticed by everyone but a grinning Arthur who playfully knocks her shoulders.

"What's got you in a mood?" Arthur joked while the others carried on talking about the bets that had been laid. Lana's mood change today hadn't gone unnoticed by Arthur like she hoped it would which caused a small defeated sigh as she turned to get a better look at Arthur.

"You'll find out in good time." Without uttering another word she swung back round to face the others and placed her hands on the table. "Business is going smoothly then, that's good to hear."

"Yep all thanks to our Tom's plan." John agreed as he turned to clap Thomas like he had done to John earlier. The boys faces light up as they watch Polly return with a tray full of whiskeys and a fresh bottle.

"Right I think we all need one of these." Polly announced with a small content smile. Without a protest everyone grabs a glass and takes in the now lighter conversation going on.

*

Lana sat quietly taking in everything being said but holding back her opinion, her thoughts were drifting and small glimpses of the interaction with the inspector plagued their way in. A new wave of the uncomfortable feeling she had felt earlier that day had hit her in full swing and her silence wasn't going unnoticed by the family. Little to Lana's surprise when she lifted her gaze up from the table to find all their eyes on her.

"What's got you so quite today?" John spoke, a small crack in his voice as he nervously glanced around the room. No one's gaze dropped and Lana pulled her glass up to her lips, not feeling drunk enough to express her disgust.

"Is it to do with what was bothering you this morning and caused you to be late?" Polly softly asked placing a reassuring hand onto Lana's, ignoring the blistering gaze from her second oldest nephew. Lana finished her drink and placed it on the table before standing up in front of them all, ready to give them a run through of the mornings events.

"I was late cause I had a visit from Inspector Campbell." Lana began and instantly the air thickened with tension and protests from the boys fill the room. Loosing patience she clears her throat loudly and gives a blistering glare. "Calm down, you're not the three musketeers. Anyways I'll run you through the basics."

*

"I don't think Campbell expected me to hit him so hard. Pol, I slapped Campbell so hard his moustache came off." Lana giggled and the tension that had built up over the course of her retelling was now slowly disappearing.

"That's the Lana we know and love." John laughed obnoxiously as he stood up and slammed his hands down on the table like this was the funniest thing he had ever heard, it wasn't but Lana enjoyed the humour.

"It was so embarrassing for him." Lana added as she peeled her eyes away from the entertained clan and to Tommy who sat with his arms crossed and a frown on his face.