Milk & Cereal

29th September 1996

I woke up the next morning feeling surprisingly refreshed. The sun had barely even risen yet. I hadn't slept that well at all the night before. I rolled over and glanced at my clock, checking the time. 6:13 am. I got dressed quickly. I decided to go for a quick walk along the beach. When I arrived at the shoreline, it was still fairly dark. It was quiet down there with no boats, and very peaceful. I lay back in the sand and looked up at the sky. There weren't any stars. The clouds above hang low in the sky.

Then, suddenly, the sky seemed to lighten a little bit. Just enough for me to see. It wasn't enough to cast a shadow on the ground.

Just then, I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I jumped up and spun around to face whoever was standing there.

It was Axel

He smirked as he came forward slowly, closing the distance between us.

"Good morning," he said, approaching me.

"Hey, Axel," I replied.

His expression softened and for a second, he paused. It almost looked like he wanted to say something, but then he shook his head lightly.

"So..." He said awkwardly.

"So..." I answered.

Neither of us spoke for a minute. I looked down at the sand and began shifting it nervously. It was awkward And I was definitely starting to feel a little awkward.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Uh, well, I wanted to get some fresh air,"

"Okay."

"Um..." What else could I possibly say!?

"Have you got somewhere to be?" I asked

He looked puzzled by my question but recovered quickly enough to shake his head.

"No, not right now."

We stood in silence. His eyes flickered downwards for a moment.

"So... How have you been?" he asked.

"Uhh, good I guess."

The awkwardness was becoming unbearable. I cleared my throat and looked down at the ground. He didn't seem to be able to speak either.

"Well, I better get going."

He nodded quietly and then turned around.

"Seeya," he muttered.

Before I could respond he walked briskly down the beach. I didn't know why he was acting so strange, but I just hoped whatever it was that was bothering him, would go away soon.

I got home at around half seven. I made myself a cup of tea and sat in the living room reading an old book that dad had written years ago. I was completely engrossed when I heard a shrill ringing from the kitchen. I ran through to grab the phone.

"Hello"

It was Amber.

She sounded excited and confused.

"Hi! I just wanted to check up on you."

"You okay?"

"Fine, I was just worried when you didn't answer my calls."

"I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Ok."

She must've called while I was out. I sighed and rested my head against the back of the couch. then returned to my book.

Around an hour and a half later I finally put the book down. I looked over at the clock above the fireplace and checked the time. It was already ten o'clock. I groaned, annoyed by how much of Mr O'Haras' homework I had to do. I walked into my room and sat at my desk to get it done. After finishing that, I went into the bathroom and washed my face. After drying myself with a towel, I grabbed my backpack and headed straight for my room. stomach rumbled angrily. I walked over to the kitchen. On the way, I bumped into my mom who had just emerged from the hallway leading towards the living room.

"Sorry, mom."

"Morning honey, how was your sleep?"

"Oh fine."

We exchanged smiles and she continued on her way into the living room. I went into the kitchen and opened the fridge. I looked around for something to eat. It occurred to me I really didn't have any cereal or anything to munch on, or milk. I figured I'd wander down the hill to the corner shop. I was about to put on my shoes but I heard my mom call out to me from the living room.

"Where are you going?"

"To the corner shop down the road."

"I'll be quick."

I slipped on my trainers and picked up my bag. I walked towards the front door and grabbed hold of the handle before glancing around at my mum.

"Be careful, love."

"Don't worry," I reassured her.

With that, I stepped outside onto the porch and locked the front door. You know you don't realise how difficult it can be to walk down an incredibly steep hill until your house is on one and you're shuffling down at an increasing speed. Every step hurts and you have to keep stopping every five minutes because you feel like you are about to fall on your ass. By the time I reached the corner shop, my legs felt like jelly and I was practically stumbling on my feet.

I opened the door and greeted the person working inside who was wearing an apron and had a nametag saying 'Julian', but he seemed to be concentrating on cleaning his glasses and didn't even bother to greet me back. I grabbed my basket and started making my way towards the cereal display. My basket was already filled up with various kinds of cereal and I looked at them, trying to decide which to buy. As I stared at the shelves, I decided I'd been standing for too long and took one of each. On my way to the till I grabbed a couple of bottles of milk and two cans of coke. Some of the bottles were labelled, but none of the labels seemed familiar. I walked over to the cash register and paid. Julian gave me a small nod when he handed me the change. Then, without even looking at me he proceeded groceries into a bag.

"Thanks"

He grunted in reply and went back to cleaning his glasses again. I walked back to the door and exited the store. As I stood on the doorstep, I let out a sigh, relieved. The sun was high in the sky. I pulled my hat further down on top of my head and started walking home.

PS. Walking uphill was worse.