The Great Storm

28th October 1996

Amber and I left the bookshop around six in the evening to go to mine. The sky was black. The wind was picking up, sending gusts of wind across the street and causing people to huddle inside shops. A flash of lightning lit up the sky and thunder rumbled in the distance.I shuddered and wrapped my coat tighter around myself, wishing I could have brought an umbrella with me. The wind whipped my hair around my face as we left the store. I held Amber's arm tightly as we walked along the pavement. The rain began falling down, pelting us mercilessly.As we rounded the corner, the street lamps lit up the wet pavement, which sent dark reflections of rain dancing in the street. Thunder boomed again and a streak of light split the darkness, followed by another boom of thunder. The streetlamps flickered and died. Everything in that darkening street seemed dead silent. Suddenly, the streetlamps flickered back to life.Another bolt of lightning flashed across the sky."Do you want to go back inside? I think it's getting worse," Amber said softly, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.I gave a nervous chuckle.A small coffee shop caught our eye, and I steered us in that direction. We pushed our way through the glass doors.Inside, a middle-aged man sat behind the counter. He noticed us but didn't react visibly, instead choosing to stare absently into space. "Hello, can I help you?" said the man in a deep baritone voice."Yes, two coffees, please. And two cookies," replied Amber politely.He started preparing the coffee.While he worked, we sat down in the most secluded seats in a corner booth. I placed my bag down under the table and slid in next to Amber. The cafe was small, barely more than five tables, and had a quaint feel. Small white candle holders were lit at each end of the rectangular table, and the aroma of freshly baked bread wafted throughout the tiny room.The cafe owner approached our table with our coffee and biscuits."Have a nice day," he mumbled. He set the coffee on the table, took our money, and walked away without saying another word.Amber grabbed her coffee and bit into her cookie."This is delicious!" exclaimed Amber, taking a bite from the cookie. I picked up my coffee, took a sip, and cringed slightly at the bitter taste of coffee. Then I took a bite out of my cookie and hummed appreciatively at how good it tasted. After chewing for a few seconds, I placed my cup back on the table. "It tastes great," I said nodding in agreement.Thunder rumbled loud outside the window, startling us both slightly.Amber put down her cookie carefully, like if she let go of it it might disappear, and looked around nervously. Then she turned back to face me, smiling. I swallowed the last bites of the cookie. My eyes met hers again, they sparkled brightly in the dimly lit cafe. I couldn't help but notice how pretty and bright those eyes are. She looked so happy right now, as though nothing bad could happen or anyone would dare hurt her here. She looked so carefree and happy, just like a puppy dog.We finished our coffees, the storm only grew stronger. It started raining harder now, and the noise from outside drowned out all other sounds. We sat talking for around half an hour; about schoolwork, about the band, about things we'd done together and other such trivial topics. Then we got up from the table and said our goodbyes.Outside it was even darker now. The rain continued to lash down relentlessly, pattering loudly against the cobbles, against the windows, against everything. We heard a low cough from behind us,"If you're both gonna sit there without buying anything else then you might as well get going."Our attention was taken by the cafe owner. He was leaning back in his chair with arms crossed. I glanced out of the window at the pouring rain. It was starting to become difficult to see beyond two meters from where we sat. I glanced back at the owner who looked impatient waiting for us. I opened my mouth to speak when Amber cut me off,"Two more cookies please, and what's the biggest drink you sell?"I looked at her curiously. "You don't need to pay this time," she said defensively.I shrugged, "Okay if you say so."Around half an hour later, when we finished our drinks (which were massive by the way) and I paid for them, we headed back out into the rainy streets.I pulled my hat over my ears and pulled Amber close as we made our way back home. Hail pelted at the ground like tiny bullets, soaking us almost instantly. I glanced anxiously at Amber's soaked cherry-red hair cascading down her shoulders. They stuck to her damp forehead and her cheeks and eyelashes, turning a dark, almost brownish hue beneath the heavy clouds. We walked through the streets with a brisk pace, attempting to avoid being blown down by the heavy gusts of wind that lashed us with cold, icy rain.We found brief shelter in a small alleyway between two houses, just before the pavement widened once again. Suddenly, a flash of lightning illuminated the scene in front of us. A figure stood before us, silhouetted by the streetlamp. He held something up to his face before another flash of lightning almost blinded us. No sound of thunder followed, however. His silhouette melted into a pool of darkness.The rain poured down hard, making no attempt to stop. We made it to my house around four o'clock, the chill from outside seeping straight through our clothes into our bones.When we arrived home, Mum was waiting at the front door for us. She immediately rushed towards us."Where have you been? You know how worried I have been?" I felt guilty immediately."Sorry," I mumbled, avoiding her gaze."Are you two okay?""Yeah. We're fine," Amber assured her. "We weren't in any danger at all."She gave us a doubtful look."Well hurry up and change your wet clothes. You're wetting the carpets," she instructed sternly. She ushered us into the living room, and I hung up my coat and scarf by the fire grate.After changing out of our wet clothes and drying ourselves off, we wandered up to the attic. We sat on the floor in the corner, next to the window, and watched the rain pour outside while we sipped hot chocolate and nibbled on some homemade brownies Mum had baked earlier in the week. We sat in silence for a while, looking out of the window into the darkness. All was quiet out there except for the pitter-patter of rain against the window. "Oh, that reminds me," Amber said, reaching into her backpack. She pulled out a small (slightly damp) gift box and passed it to me."What is it?" I asked curiously, taking the box."Open it," she told me excitedly.I removed the lid. Inside sat a Polaroid camera, some film and some string lights. My mouth dropped open in surprise.A smile spread across Amber's face.The gift was so thoughtful, so thoughtful that it made me cry inside. Tears filled my eyes, and I wiped them away quickly, embarrassed."Thank you so much," I said earnestly."No worries! You deserve a little fun," she replied brightly.The next morning, after she left I went to put the empty box in my closet when I felt something slide around inside. I opened it, expecting to find another film refill or some more string lights. Instead, I found a small black object. I lifted it up from its hiding place and stared at it in amazement. There, nestled in my palm, was a cassette, written on one side was a note "Listen to this" It read.I haven't stopped listening to it since.