Home Sweet Home

"Home sweet home." My manager said with a smile as she grabbed her carry-on bags. I was happy she was home for the holidays. Last year, while I was filming in Australia, she had to be there with me so she couldn't be with her family. I flash her a quick smile and because I had no bags made my way off the plane wishing the flight attendant a Merry Christmas as I passed.

"Stop walking so fast or I'll think you're happy to be back." She knew that would get me to slow down so as I did she ran up and clung onto me like a kid. She was a few months older than me but never failed to prove she was still a child at heart. That doesn't stop her from being good at her job as I wouldn't be as known as I am now without her.

"I am happy."  It didn't come out very convincingly seeing that made her stop in her tracks and swung me around to face her.

"I'm Diana Richardson, I've been your friend for ten years and you Veronica Lowe are never happy to be here." She said so confidently that it made me feel a little bad. 

If anyone had asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I'd say a footballer and that I'd definitely play for Arsenal but that dream went up in flames at the age of nine, literally. Imagine it being your birthday and your parents' anniversary, so happy and excited only to end the day crying because your father's workplace was burned to the ground. No one survived. He taught me so many things like how to spell the word onomatopoeia or how to fish but my favorite thing was playing football, which he taught me. He was a big fan of football and I loved it as well. After he passed the world became dull to me, the only color I saw was my mother. A few years after her color faded as well, she was in a terrible accident and nearly died. She's doing much better now but she was never the same. As a teenager I focused my energy into singing and that was the only thing that kept me going. Diana helped me with my career and now I'm even acting. People look up to me and I love giving back to them. As long as it didn't involve me being back home. Bad memories just always outweighed the good ones. This year however I decided to face all my demons and come back for who knows how long. As soon as I announced it I was booked for interviews and to be on different shows so I'll be busy, just the way I like it. 

By the time I came out of thought, I realized we were standing at the airport doors, security had assembled and fans flooded the outside. That always made me happy and felt sad that I hadn't been home often enough. With a small signal, the doors are opened and we make our way out stopping and signing autographs, taking pictures and making quick videos with fans. By the time we got into the car I felt exhausted but still smiling. 

"Is that a genuine Veronica smile?" Diana asked sarcastically. I rolled my eyes but still answered with a slight maybe. She only smiled, like she knew it all. To be fair, most of the time, she did know it all. 

When we got to the hotel, I jumped in bed immediately and ordered food. Diana then ran through the plans for the next few days. 

"A dress fitting with Chanel for Sydney's Christmas Party, and then that's it. You're free for the next two days." She says with an almost serious face, too serious. 

"What about the surprise visit?" 

She instantly smiled but tried to hide it in time. I had caught her though. What was she hiding from me?

"Well,about that," she paused, "You won't be seeing Georgia just yet you can see her later in the week. She's fully booked and since I couldn't tell her it was you, she wouldn't make the exception." 

My face dropped and tears formed in my eyes, but nothing came out because that would be too dramatic, even for me.

"This is unbelievable, I'm suing." I let out as I jumped up from the bed.

"Ok drama queen. Relax, you know you'll see her soon and that day will come before you know." 

She always had a way of talking to me like a mother or big sister would, even when I was joking just in case one day I actually decided to do something impulsive and dramatic. I love her so much for that.

"Fine, but I really miss her. She's like my sister, you know that."

"I love and miss her too.” Diana said as her phone went off, she gave a look which meant she needed to take it and went into the other room.

I couldn't stop thinking about being here, everyone I wanted to see. Since the Lionesses won the Euros, I've been wanting to come back, to be there for Georgia. She worked hard for it and I cried when she held the trophy. I've known her for most of my life, when we met I knew we'd always be there for each other. A bond that would never break. There were others on the team that I knew, Lucy, Alessia and Kiera. I had spent time with them before but because of my love-hate relationship with my home, those friendships sort of stayed at a certain level. Unlike the Arsenal players that I know a little too well.

Viv, Katie and I hit it off the first time we met, we found ourselves hanging out every time we'd meet in the same place. Then there was Jordan and Beth, you could say I'm the biggest Meado fan around. And as for Jordan, I have never met a funnier individual. Also a very forgetful one as well, but they were so amazing. There were never dull moments, seeing there weren't too many moments. 

Then there was Leah. Probably the one I knew a little longer than the others, before my mom's accident she tried keeping me in football and surprisingly I got scouted by Arsenal but that didn't last. I lost hope for me and the sport, by her demand we stayed in touch the last time I was here and occasionally talked online, especially if it's about Georgia. That fact sometimes made me think we had nothing in common but from very trustworthy sources, Leah was harboring a little crush. Which I can't say I'm upset about. 

I don't know if it was the jet lag or my long thought process but I fell asleep soon after only waking up a few hours later to Diana waving tacos in my face.