prologue. "searched the party"

one single
thread of gold
◛⑅·˚ ༘ ♡‧₊˚✧

Allison's heart ached. Deep inside her chest, she was surprised it was still even there. There was a void type of feeling most of the time that replaced it, making her feel hollow and empty.

She felt vacant from her own body. Being in it, living through life was futile and meaningless at this point. It was almost like she floated above, watching her every movement, every breath taken that she didn't feel, every lie uttered from her lips.

Allison had lost the best part of herself, the one true person that knew her — that made her whole.

And she missed the living hell out of him. Even though she didn't want to miss him. She had been trying not to miss him.

After all, this was all her fault.

Yet, she couldn't help herself.

Here she was at this silly party, her attendance begged for by her friends. She'd given the best facade she could, but the ones that knew her best? Well, it's safe to say that they had realized Allison hadn't been herself — in a while.

Although it seems that all of her friends knew she needed to get out. To have some sort of social interaction outside of work.

Allison's old self wouldn't have ever called this party silly. In fact, she would've celebrated it — hell, she probably would have helped put it all together. She enjoyed being around her friends, recognizing the importance of someone on their birthday. She enjoyed celebrating someone being on this earth, for being in her life.

She would have made it fun — she would have been lively. Now, she could bet she made it dull. After all, she was a shell of a person. Missing a piece to her puzzle.

Everyday was like the other — a daze. Today, was just a new environment added into the lifeless mix that Allison cycled through.

"You made it!" A voice said happily, nearing her. Hunter Doohan beamed his saint-like smile, his arms raised to greet Allison with a hug.

The girl plastered on a matching expression as he wrapped his arms around her, secretly hoping it was convincing. "Hi, Hunter."

"It's so good to see you," he said, letting her go. Hunter made efforts to avoid spilling his cup on her as he pulled back his hands. "Does Jenna know you got here?"

Allison shook her head. "Nah. I haven't gotten the chance to find her yet."

The boy tilted his head at her, studying her curiously. "Does anyone know? Like, have you interacted with anyone so far?"

She pursed her lips. She hated that almost all of her costars were able to read her like a book — especially when she becomes good friends with them like she had with Hunter. "Not exactly." Allison disliked the knowing expression he sported. "Okay, fine. You got me. No, I haven't. But cut me some slack, I like just got here!"

Hunter softened, smiling down at her. Scarily similar to how Jack had used to— "Whatever you say. It's totally okay if you're overwhelmed, there's a lot of people here. I know I am."

The girl appreciates the leeway Hunter gave her, so she grasped onto it like it was a life support thrown out to her in the depths of the ocean. "Yeah, right? I knew Jenna had friends but I didn't realize she was that likable."

Hunter laughed at her joke, his eyes crinkling to a close with how hard he was laughing — which she didn't realize was that funny, but okay — and to her surprise, Allison found herself cracking a small, genuine smile. Maybe it was just the joy Hunter effortlessly radiated that was rubbing off on her.