v. "polish up real nice"

◛⑅·˚ ༘ ♡‧₊˚✧

DECEMBER — 2022
LONDON, ENGLAND & LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

The day had finally arrived — it was time for Avatar: the Way of Water's World Premiere.

Allison itched with nerves as her makeup artist completed her final touch ups. Thank God she had someone doing it for her, because she would never be able to trust herself to do it — let alone know what anything was. She's always been pampered in a chair, allowing someone else with better skill to make her look better. And when it came down to it, all she really had to do was stand there, look pretty, and smile. Except something about that was so daunting to her, dread lingering over her head like a dark cloud ready to unleash a storm.

Before she knew it, she was finished and she thanked everyone for their help as her prep team had begun packing up.

"You ready?" Zack's voice filtered through the door.

"Yeah, I'm good." She said, which Zack took that as a sign to come in.

"Okay, turn. Let's see it."

She was spraying her perfume on as a last bit of effort added. Allison set the bottle down and smiled as she faced her brother with a twirl, extending her arms. "Well?"

Zack walked over to her and his mouth dropped, "Holy shit. You look so cute. This look? I'm here for it."

Allison laughed at his millennial efforts to relate to her. "Okay, but can we talk you about for a second? Bitch, you're glowing. That's not fair, this is my premiere."

Her brother laughed along with her, "That doesn't mean I can't try and look good."

"I don't want you to outshine me," she touched his shoulder gently upon moving across the room to him. "By the way, is the car here?"

"Yep. All set." He told her.

It was no surprise that Zack was Allison's plus one to the premiere. Her brother was her biggest supporter — just like she was his. Plus, it didn't hurt either of them to be seen with each other at events to promote one another. She had flown him in for his company. It had been so long since she had seen him last. And when it came down to it, with both of them being in the spotlight of blossoming fame while in different industries — they needed each other. So after all, what were siblings for?

The ride over from the hotel was short in reality but to Allison it felt like she was in that car hours. It had been long enough for her heart to start beating faster with each passing second, her chest starting to tighten. Doubts had crept into her mind as she began to acknowledge the low-hanging questions circling her head, letting herself imagine the worst possible outcomes. Allison picked at her cuticles, the torture within her beginning.

"Hey," Zack said, grabbing her fingers and taking her hand with his. He gave her hand a squeeze, to bring her mind back to the present, to send a reminder coursing through her veins that she had him by her side. His soft smile he sent her way reassured her in the way he knew it would. Her shoulders became less tense as she tried to appreciate his efforts, scrunching her nose at him in gratitude in hopes to reassure the crease of worry nestled in between his brows.

He helped her keep her ground in the midst of crashing waves, trying to knock her off her feet and sweep her in it's current. It pulled at her in all directions, attempting to keep her standing on her own. Staying strong. She fidgeted with the rings on her fingers, in order to stray away from pulling at the gel polish painted onto her nails.

Her eyes surveyed the crowd as their ride finally arrived to Odeon Luxe Leicester Square. She took a deep breath, her shoulders rising — her anxiety creeping up her body, then breathing out to shove it all back down.