iii. "can i ask you a question"

◛⑅·˚ ༘ ♡‧₊˚✧

NOVEMBER/DECEMBER — 2022

The press tour for Avatar: the Way of Water was officially in full swing and it felt endless as they ventured to and fro across different countries. The stream of interviews was continuous and Allison wasn't sure how many more times she could introduce herself without her face falling off. Everyday was like the other — blurring into a daze that Allison cycled through. She knew how to navigate its maze like the back of her hand. She loved it, don't get her wrong. It was just when everyday became repetitive, it's hard not for everything to blend together in a heap.

Sometimes being paired with different people for interviews was a breath of fresh air, a brief moment with her head above the water of the crashing waves right before she was submerged under the pressures once more. She felt like the currents were sweeping her away much, the tumbles of the tide keeping her down. There was only one person that helped make that feeling seem less overwhelming, where the anxieties were pushed to the back of her mind rather than forefront, and the stress didn't nag at her head. That person was no other than Jack.

Allison wished she could do every project with him; every press tour. With him by her side, everything about this industry would be so easy. She doubted she could never get tired of laughing hysterically at his alleged professional composure when answering questions.

"Hi, I'm Allison Beck," Jack said, playing the game.

The girl laughed, a hand covering her mouth. It was such a silly little joke, and yet she acted like Jack had just told her the funniest thing in the world. "And I'm Jack Champion," Allison smiled into the camera.

She had done so many interviews with him — her interview partner through and through at this point — that they just had to switch some things up sometimes and every time without fail, a genuine smile washed over her face. For some reason, one she couldn't figure out at to why, Jack just naturally had that effect on her. Effortlessly putting her at ease, or a good mood.

❦ ❦

"Oh my God, my favorite thing ever is this one video that Jack made about the pythagorean theorem."

Jack groaned, "Of course you know about that."

"It's my ringtone for you."

"What?"

"It's my ringtone." The girl repeated.

"You're joking."

"I'm totally dead serious."

Jack narrowed his eyes at Allison humorously, before concluding, "Liar."

"I can prove it if you want. It's specifically of the end— can we get our phones out? I need to prove him wrong." She said. "It'll be so great. And totally worth it." They were told it was accepted, to which the young adult smiled. "Okay cool," Allison fished out her phone while Jack did the same. She placed it on her lap after turning it off silent. "Call me. Call me right now."

"Okay, okay," Jack said, putting up a quick hand.

Shortly after he flicked his thumb across the screens and pressed a button, Jack looked up and immediately following, Allison's phone rang.

With Jack's voice, slightly muffled, they heard, "Prepared!" and electronic music played through the speaker. Allison bore a shit-eating grin, enjoying the shock on Jack's face.

"No way."

"Told you!"

"How did I not know this?"

"'Cause you're never with me when you call?" She tilted her head at him as if it were obvious. "How else?"