The Final

At halftime the score was 2-2 to. To say the whole stadium was shocked was an understatement. Y/n had scored both goals for the Americans. Camila for the first time in five years watched and cheered her on. Every save would make her heart drop just as it had when they were in highschool. The regular time ended like that.

As soon as the second overtime half began it felt like game over when Emely Hernandez found the net for the second time and Mexico went up 3-2.

The American's morale was very low. Y/n however was still trying she was screaming to the point that the people could hear her in the front rows.

When an opportunity struck y/n crossed it Mallory Pugh. When she shot the goalie made a highlight reel save just getting her fingertips on the ball to make it a corner. Time was running out. The crowd was on their feet for the corner and the ball just missed y/n's head by an inch. When the Mexican goalkeeper had the ball in her hands she started getting cocky. She kicked the ball towards the midfield when Lindsey Horan was able to beat her woman to it. She threaded it through once again to y/n and she was shaking the players off her left and right. She was at the edge of the box when she felt herself being tripped. She went down hard but got up fast.

Of course the commotion had only just begun. Her teammates pushing the other team. She still didn't notice who had brought her down until the ref walked up to Emely and showed her a red. Her best friend had quite literally pulled the rug from underneath her. After a few moments the game was ready to be resumed. It was the last minute of added time.

"And this will be the final kick in the game. This kick could perhaps be the last play for a lot of these legends of the game. Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan, Lindsey Horan, Christen Press, and Tobin Heath. This is their last World Cup. It is Gonzalez who steps up to take the free kick. Gonzalez with the hopes and dreams of a whole country on her back. She's done it many times at Barcelona will she be able to do it here today in Miami when it matters the most. The most important kick of her career."

"She steps up to take the shot, it's over the wall and it's....

IT'S IN Y/N GONZALEZ HAS DONE IT SHE HAS BEEN THE POINT OF DIFFERENCE IN THIS MATCH  IN THIS WHOLE TOURNAMENT AND KEEPS HER TEAM ALIVE AND THIS ONE IS GOING INTO PENALTIES!!! THE EVER ASTONISHING GONZALEZ DOES IT AGAIN, THIS TIME FOR HER COUNTRY."

The team literally dog piled her. The dream was not over for them. When she got up from the ground she looked towards the boxes where the family and friends were to point at her father and brother. When she saw something that floored her. Right next to their box was someone she had never been able to forget.

Camila Cabello

And she wasn't alone. Next to her was Sofi and a little boy that remarkably resembled her. Camila was already looking at her when she noticed them. Y/n locked eyes with her and then moved them to the child next to her. In that moment she started connecting the dots

When Camila locked eyes with her she knew. She knew that her former lover had recognized her. She knew she had seen Charles properly for the first time as well. The conversation was not going to be pretty by any means.

The match was over and that meant penalty kicks.
After what y/n had seen in the stands she was in no condition to take a penalty kick.
Those were never y/n's cup of tea. She knew it the coaches knew it, her teammates knew it, her opponents knew it, the whole world knew it. When it was time for the shoot out they had agreed she would take the fifth penalty if needed. She prayed that it wouldn't be, but alas it was.

"I can't do it guys. I can't do it again. I know I'm going to miss." She said to her teammates with shame in her eyes. The team had no choice but to send the next kicker. Alyssa Thompson. She was new to the team but went up to the spot nonetheless. While y/n put her shirt over her face because she couldn't bear to watch.