The Mission

Living as a sedulous criminal since he was a child was never what he desired. It seemed as if every time there was a change in the world he had to learn how to deal with it because this life was not for him.

Even though being a thief made him feel like he could steal anything, he knew better than to believe that it'd be like that forever. It was more about living a life on the edge rather than stealing things. He hesitated before joining them, but where else would he go? He belongs nowhere in this world, where all that matters is status and fame when he is a wandering criminal with no place to call home.

Before becoming a bandit, Sonic was in a desperate state with his younger brother Miles. Both of them had to move places from time to time, just to run away from the guards in the city for stealing merchants' food and daily needs. There were days when the cerulean almost got captured when he stole a pinch of bread from restaurants. Moreover, the townspeople despised poor kids like him with cruelty.

They moved through different towns and cities, only staying in one place for a short period due to their lack of money or supplies. Although Miles told him that he was all right with this kind of life, he felt guilty. He met Tails during a robbery in town; his parents were shot to death when they told Miles to flee. Sonic was at the scene, so he made a hasty retreat to hide with the fox in the alleyway until the end.

He was approached by a ferocious-looking crocodile with an eyepatch named Vector, who happens to be the leader of a band of thieves. It was quite surprising considering how much he liked to look down upon any sort of person, yet he agreed without hesitation to join their cause as a rogue. Vector was impressed by the crimes the hedgehog had committed on his records and decided to give him the chance to prove himself to the group.

He didn't think Vector would be someone worth befriending, especially when Vector didn't trust anyone easily. In spite of that, the man showed himself to be kind after he joined, and he was grateful for that.

After that day when he joined the bandits, his whole life changed dramatically.

Miles had grown up into a useful individual and had proven himself as an astonishing scientist and a fantastic researcher; he even devised a working plan for the bandits to take down guards in town and gain more wealth to continue their operation. He got the life he wanted and lived happily with his research and love of science.

Years passed by, and Sonic's reputation in the group had become more than a common thief. He had overcome multiple near-death experiences in operating a crime operation and managed to get away without a trace every time thanks to his speed. He had become an elite member of the gang, and everyone knew that he was the most dangerous one among them.

His wanted price has risen over the years and everyone is hunting for the cunning blue hedgehog, but his skills as a thief still outshine almost everything else.

But not everything stays the same forever.

It was after Vector was struck by the guards that everything changed. At the same time, a new leader was born: Espio the Chameleon.

"I'm gonna give you your last mission before retiring you from your role," the violet chameleon says with a stern tone as he stands up from Vector's chair.

While waiting for Sonic's response, the bandits fell silent in the gathering hall. He sped out for a moment, staring off into nothing. He was snapped back from his thoughts as Miles called him out from a distance, who called out quietly to his older brother in the crowd. The cerulean shakes his head as he opens his mouth to speak, shock in his voice.

"Wait, what do you mean? Last mission? Retiring? What's going on, Espio? What did I do?"

Espio sighs deeply as he takes a step closer to him, looking directly at his emerald eyes. Sonic flinches at first when he notices an unfamiliar glint in his eyes. However, it quickly turns soft before turning serious, making it difficult to read his expression as always.