Pool of Concerns

Silver washed his hands along with the apples and blueberries he picked in the forest in the basket. The water overflowed the handmade wooden tub into which it ran, the small streams rushing down to the river that fed the village, and into its many other tributaries.

He had grown accustomed to picking up fruits or vegetables that are edible in the forest next to his home, thus making it the main source of sustenance and he didn't need to spend money at the town's local market to eat. Since he couldn't cook before going to work, he always ate them on his way to the castle.

He counted the blueberries in the basket once he reminded himself of the main reason why he woke up so early in the morning than he was scheduled to work as the royal advisor; he wanted to make breakfast for his guest that is currently residing at his place.

It's been half a week since he's been staying over, and everything the chameleon does makes him deeply suspicious. Occasionally, after he arrived home from the castle, he would find Espio crawling on top of the ceiling. He would then threaten him at his neck with a knife he called 'kunai'. Additionally, he would ask whether he was a hired assassin searching for him. He told him that his fake kindness was just something to fool him to come over to his place is solid proof.

He had to be convinced for hours and days that there was no such thing. He told him that he is working under Blaze's instructions, a royalty.

...Which only makes things more difficult; Espio doesn't believe in his naive personality that is capable enough to bear the responsibilities of a high position such as royal advisor.

His way of saying it was too thorny; it even reached the point where Silver had enough of his attitude to tell him the same things over and over again. To prove himself, he had insisted the chameleon follow him to the palace today.

He hesitated at first, but he gave up after Silver repeated the same treatment.

From his observations, it seems that Espio is too alert and always keeps an eye out for enemies nearby, which worries him.

He had already asked why the night before, but he remained silent. He said that many things could happen, and that was all. No explanation, no further words exchanged between them, and nothing that could have been interpreted as a threat.

He figured he was labelled as one, since he had always made sure to knock and say his name at his own house to make sure Espio wasn't too cautious about anyone coming to his place, and to ensure his neck wasn't always at the point of his kunai.

He stood up after rinsing the cherries, turned his head around and walked into the house through the back door to head to the kitchen. He took a clean plate from the shelves beside the door and a pair of cups from the cupboard above it. He took two teabags and put one in the cup before pouring the hot water he had boiled earlier.

He mixed it with one spoonful of sugar and mixed them, when he noticed footsteps coming from behind him.

"Oh," Silver exclaimed, "You're awake. Good morning."

Espio didn't respond, instead he stared at both the hedgehog and the cup he was holding. His eyes were darkening slightly; Silver wasn't exactly sure what's with his stare, though it looked like there's no emotion on his face.

In any case, Silver decided it was wise not to continue talking. So he placed the cup down in front of him on the table. He turned to the cutting board on the counter to peel the apples before handing them out to the chameleon. The tea holder was grasped by the fingers of Espio as he sat down, his eyes fixed on the tea he was making.

"You sure there's no poison in it?" he asked him in his usual monotonous voice.

"Why would I make you drink poison if there was?" Silver replied. He took one apple, peeled it and placed it on a plate.