IV

A few days had past since the new family arrived. You had been preoccupied with your duties and although you had little time for it you still practiced your dancing by the water. It was usually late at night when you had the opportunity to practice but still you did.
One night after a long day of training with Ronal you wondered down to your usual spot by the shore to practice your dancing but this time was different. You couldn't find any rhythm and every step you took felt wrong. Your tail whipped behind you splashing water in frustration. ~why is he being so stupid! Why can't we just go back to the way we were!~ you groaned in anger and rolled onto your back looking up at the stars above. ~this is stupid. Aonung is stupid.~ Suddenly you were pulled from your thoughts by the sound of foot steps in the sand. Deep down you were hoping for Aonung but when you turned your head towards the approaching sound it wasn't him. It was the forest boy from the other day. "Oh hey! Sorry I didn't mean to disturb you." He smiled at you. " It's ok, I thought you were someone else." You lay your head back into the sand looking back up to the sky. The forest boy sat down next to you. " So what's your name?" You figured you might as well learn his name so you don't have to keep calling him "forest boy". " My name is Neteyam." You turned your head to look at him. " Neteyam " you repeated back to him letting his name roll off of your tongue. He liked how you said his name you could see it in his eyes. You broke the silence first. " So how are you finding village life?" Your question seemed to snap him out of a daze. " Well, it's very different from home and we're different from everyone else so the people look at us weird." You felt awful. You couldn't imagine anything like that happening to you. " You are different but you aren't a freak or a demon and neither is anyone in your family. What is it like to live in the forest and the mountains?" You wanted to change the topic before the conversation got too sad. You and Neteyam sat on that beach for hours talking about everything and nothing at all. You enjoyed his company he talked about his old home with so much passion and love that you couldn't help but admire him. He told you about how he claimed his Ikran and when the sky people came. He also told you a few stories from his childhood with his brother and sisters. You laughed at some of his storied and found yourself tearing up at others. He was a wonderful story teller and you could listen to him talk forever. Eventually you had to call it a night otherwise you both would've stayed sat on the beach until morning.
" Will I see you tomorrow?" He asked you getting up from his position. " Maybe you will or maybe you won't." You replied in a sweet tone as you walked backwards away from him. " I sure hope I do." He flashed you a wise smile as he did the same. " By the way, don't let Aonung get under your skin. He can be a skxqwng he's not all bad." You shouted back to him. He laughed back at you. " I'm not so sure." His smile was so charming and his braids swayed when he tilted his head. "Goodnight Neteyam." You call back to him as you walked away smiling.
Neteyam watched you walk away. He decided right there and then that he'd spend as much time as he could with you and make sure you smile and laugh like you did that night by the ocean.