5 - lightbulb

eddie diaz

christopher practically tackles ann to the floor. ann sprawls out, chris landing between her legs.

"sometimes i wonder if he likes you more than he does me." i smile lightly, staring down at my son. he seems so content in ann's arms.

"you know it." she smiles, her eyes lighting up entirely as she tickles chris's stomach. i take a look at my watch. 12:23.

"alright, buddy. i have to go." i say and he runs into my arms. i rub his back and lean down to kiss his head. i look up to find ann frown. as soon as the frown is there, its gone and replaced by a smile, which is clearly fake.

"bye dad." he smiles before running over to the couch and tucking himself into a blanket.

i look over at ann, who's arms are crossed across her chest as she looks at christopher. i can't help the smile that finds its way onto my face.

"thank you so, so much. i would've taken chris, but he hates the gym and stuff." i sigh.

"its okay. you and i both know chris will have the time of his life here." she says, looking over to the boy who is now completely cuddled into the couch, glasses discarded as he tries to go through channels to see what is on the tv.

"I know. but seriously, thank you again." I tell her, wrapping her small frame in my arms.

she wounds her arms around my neck, nuzzling her head into my shoulder. my arms wrap around her waist and bury my face into her neck. i breath in deeply. she smells strongly of oranges and vanilla.

i don't know what made her upset a minute ago, but i feel the need to find out and beat it until it goes away.

after i second i pull away and place my hands on her hips. i take in her face.

the blue/grey eyes staring straight into mine are so easily the prettiest ones I've ever seen. her nose is a bit on the bigger side, but when she turns it lifts upwards and i find myself staring at it because of how cute it is. then there's her lips.

her lips are a beautiful shade between pink and purple, and are full, but not too full. the kissable lips create the best smile that could ever exist, showing off her straight teeth.

im torn out of my trance and realize its 12:27.

"alright guys, im gonna go." i wave.

they each shout out their goodbyes as i step out and slowly close the door behind me.

with little to no thoughts in my head, i quickly walk to my car. i get to the gym within just a few minutes, thanking ann for picking an apartment close to where my gym is.

i begin with the punching bag in the corner, allowing myself a deep breath before throwing my first punch. my knuckles burn deliciously as they make contact with the rubber.

i can't get the image of ann hugging christopher out of my mind. the image just seems so...right.

and the way that her smile dropped earlier made me upset. its like anything she feels, i feel.

the feeling of her in my arm. it felt so right. like we were made for each other.

and how when the earthquake hit, she didn't question anything and got christopher for me. she does anything she can to make anyone around her happy without questions. and it works.

hit after hit, and finally, a realization dawns on me.

i like angeline buckley.

i stop in my tracks and take a breath.

i like ann.

-

christopher and i are currently playing a slightly competitive game of slap jack.

"no i got that!" he exclaims, laughing loudly as i swat his hand away from my rightly earned pile.

"no. i did!  your hand hit mine." i reply smugly, grinning at the boy.

"fine. next one is mine." he practically demands.

"only if you can get it." i tell him with a small laugh.

before we can play our next card, there's a knock at the door.

i set my cards down and brush off my pants as i walk to the door. im greeted by a sweaty looking eddie.

"hey! i didn't think you'd be back so soon." i smile, opening the door wider.

"i came to a realization." he smiles slightly, not reaching his eyes.

i cross my arms, tilting my head to the side. "and what was that?"

he looks to the table and lets out a sigh, grabbing me by the wrist and pulling me into my room.

"eddie, are you okay?" i ask, practically tripping behind him.

he lets go of my wrist, but quickly places his hands on my hips and pulling me to him.

"i think i like you and i don't know what to do or how to react." he admits, closing his eyes with an exhausted breath.

"eds..." i sigh, resting my hands on his arms.

"i know you don't feel the same about me, but i have no idea what to do and i feel like a 13 year old boy again. except this time, i have to worry about my son - who you befriended immediately and he absolutely adores you." he says, smiling softly. "he almost never shuts up about you. i think that's why its been so hard to push off my feelings for you."

"i..eddie, if im honest, i don't know what to say." i mutter. "don't get me wrong, i like you too, i just-" with a sigh, i smile sadly, feeling my eyes well up with tears. "my last relationship was abusive and i don't know if im ready for that again."

"oh, ann, thats okay." he says softly, cupping my face. "i would never rush you into anything you didn't want to do."

"thank you." i sniffle as he wipes a stray tear away.