Chapter 14

News of Sophie's failed love spell swept across both schools, and by midmorning everyone waited with bated breath to get a glimpse of her scarlet F. But when Sophie skipped all her morning classes, it was clear she was too ashamed to show her face.

At lunch, Agatha and I sat in a heap of autumn leaves.

"I hope she's alright," I said.

"Me too," Agatha said. "All of this would have been much easier if she had just listened to us."

"Yeah, but this is Sophie we're talking about." I fell back into the leaves, arms behind my head. "The only time she's ever listened to anyone is when she reads How-To beauty books."

"Y/n."

"What? It's true."

"No—look."

I propped myself up on my elbows and gaped.

Sophie sashayed into the Clearing, dumpy black sack refashioned into a strapless bodice dress, F shimmering over her chest with devil-red sequins. She'd cut her blond hair even shorter and slicked it down in a shiny bob. Her face was painted geisha white, her eyelids pink, her lips vermilion, and her glass shoes had not only been repaired but heeled even taller, which together with the extremely short dress, showed off long, creamy legs. From the shadows she swanned into sun, and light exploded off her glitter-dusted skin, bathing her in heavenly glow. Sophie strutted past Hester, who dropped her book, past Everboys, who dropped their ball, and glided right up to Hort.

"Let's do lunch," she said, sweeping him away like a hostage.

Across the field, Tedros' sword fell out of its sheath.

He saw Beatrix glaring and put it back.

During Surviving Fairy Tales, Sophie ignored Yuba's lecture on "Leaving Useful Trails" and spent the entire class cozying up to Hort and filling her Never pail with roots and herbs from the Blue Forest.

"What are you doing!" hissed Agatha.

"Can you believe it, Aggie darling? They have beetroot, willow bark, lemonwood and everything else I need to make my old potions and creams! Soon I'll be back to my real self!"

"This wasn't the 'real Sophie' I had in mind."

"Excuse me? I'm just following your rules. Flaunt my assets, which are many, as you can see. Speak through actions—have I said a word to Tedros? No. Haven't. And lest we forget, parade competing suitors. Do you know what it takes to survive lunch with Hort? To nuzzle that rodent every time I see Tedros looking? Eucalyptus, Agatha. I numb my nose with eucalyptus. But in the end, you were right."

"Listen, you misun— I was?"

"You reminded me what's important." Sophie nodded to Tedros and Everboys ogling her across the thicket. "It doesn't matter if you're a Never, Ever, or whatever. In the end, the fairest of them all wins."

She glossed her lips and gave them a smack. "You'll see. He'll ask me to the Ball before the week's up and you'll get your precious kiss. So no more negativity, darling, it gives me a headache. Now, where's that worthless Hort? I told him to stay by me at all times!"

She swept away, leaving Agatha and I speechless.

In the School for Evil, Nevers sulked through supper, knowing they had a full night of studying ahead. With spell casting set to begin, the teachers' tests were based less on talent now and more in tedious recall. For the next day alone, they had to memorize eighty murder schemes for Lady Lesso's first challenge, Giant commands for Henchmen, and the Flowerground Map for Sader's geography exam.