Chapter 56

"What if Merlin marshals the Ever kingdoms against us?" I heard Professor Manley ask.

"For the last time, Bilious, Good defends, not attacks; the Ever kingdoms will not fight us if we do not fight them," Rafal's voice growled. "Besides, they know better than to risk their people for a few decrepit heroes. Not that this will save them, of course. Once Y/n and I prove that Evil can win, we'll destroy the Ever kingdoms one by one."

"And what if more of our students turn out to be spies for Good?" asked Professor Sheeks.

"What if Princess Uma brings an animal army?" pushed Pollux.

"If you're worried about our students' ability to fight animals, then I wonder what business you have being a teacher at all," the young School Master fired. "As for spies, Sheeba, I believe the threat of imprisonment in the Brig will deter any further rebellion."

"'Cause that worked real well tonight," Castor murmured.

I wasn't paying attention to them as I inspected the food laid out at the back of Lady Lesso's old frozen classroom.

I glimpsed my reflection in an iced wall and almost didn't recognize myself. There was imperious queen in a spiked crown and maleficent gown. Ever since yesterday's coronation before famous villains and former classmates, standing in homage to their new leader, I had begun to feel like my true self. I glanced down at Merlin's white star, which I'd buried in my pocket. No doubt he'd left it to make me rethink my allegiance to Evil. Instead it had only recommitted me.

Oh, what I would have given to see that scheming meddler thrown into the iced dungeons, with his stupid cape and infernal hat and doddering quips. Next time, I'd handle sealing prisoners in the Brig myself.

My eyes refocused on the buffet and I glanced back at the seated teachers—Professor Manley, Professor Sheeks, Castor, Pollux, and Lady Lesso—who each had full plates of putrid food. Dean Aric was the only one missing from the gathering.

"I say the biggest problem we have is that we crammed all the Evil students into the old Good school and those numpty Nevers don't know that castle from their own arse," Castor grouched. "Keep locking themselves in closets and falling down secret passageways. How can they protect a school if they don't know where anything is?"

Lady Lesso cleared her throat. "Rafal—"

"You mean Master," I said.

Lady Lesso's eyes flicked to me.

"Master," she simpered, back to Rafal, "I think what the rest of my colleagues are trying to say is that one cannot approach the coming war like an impetuous child. If Hester and Anadil, two of our best Nevers, turned out to be spies for Good, how can we trust the rest to be faithful to our cause? Tracking them into their future groups might sedate their instincts to rebel, but it cannot address their deeper loyalties. When faced with the choice of fighting with us or against us, we cannot predict what many of them will do, particularly those Evers whose families have fought for Good their whole lives. And speaking frankly, Master, to believe otherwise is to let your new youth impair your judgment."

"What is it you're proposing, Lady Lesso?" Rafal asked.

"I propose that you avoid the students fighting for you at all," said Lady Lesso. "Take the old villains into the Woods and ambush Merlin's forces before they reach our gates. Let the Dark Army finish them off before they ever get to school. The students will remain barricaded at school under our control."

"It is the most sensible plan," said Professor Manley, as if he and Lady Lesso had already discussed it. "Our students would only hamper your army."

"It will prevent spies or sabotage," said Professor Sheeks, clearly privy to the plan.