Chapter 20

The roaring sewer river stretched through the long tunnel from Good to Evil, interrupted only by the Doom Room at the halfway point between the two schools. The Beast had long guarded the halfway point, where clear water from the lake turned to roiling sludge from the moat. But for the last two weeks, Sophie had trespassed unchecked and would no doubt return tonight as promised. Our only hope was to stop her before she crossed back into Good.

"Wait until they're about to kill him."

My head whipped down the tunnel.

"Tedros has to think you saved him from death," echoed Anadil's voice.

Sweating through my clothes, me and Agatha nudged along the sewer wall, until we saw three shadows crouched in front of the dungeon's rusted grating.

"All the Evers will think it's Anadil's attack, not yours," Hester said, voice resounding above the river's roar. "Tedros will think you saved him. He'll think you risked your life."

"And then he'll love me?" asked the third shadow.

Agatha stumbled back in surprise.

Shit, I thought.

Hester spun. "Who's there?"

"Stay hidden," Agatha whispered.

"What?" I said back.

Agatha inched out from the shadows.

"Agatha, no!" I hissed, but it was too late. They had already seen her.

I stayed out of sight, but peeked around the corner enough to see what was happening.

Hester and Anadil jumped to their feet.

Slowly the third shadow turned.

In the dim light, Sophie looked bloodless, sunken, and a good deal thinner.

"My dear, dear Agatha."

"What's happening?" Agatha rasped.

"We're helping a prince keep his promise."

"By staging an attack?"

"By showing how much I love him," Sophie answered.

From the Doom Room came a clamor of loud grunts and squeals. Agatha reeled back. "What was that?"

Sophie smiled. "Anadil's been working on her Circus Talent."

Agatha sprang forward to see what was in the cell, but Hester held her back. Over her shoulder, Agatha glimpsed three giant black snouts jutting from the grates, baring razor-sharp teeth. They were sniffing something just out of reach.

An Everboy's necktie with an embroidered T.

"Can't see very well, poor things," Sophie sighed. "Target by scent."

Agatha bleached white. "But that's—that's Tedros'—"

"I'll stop them before they do any harm, of course. Just give him a good scare."

"But—but—suppose they attack other people!"

"Isn't this what you said you wanted? For me to find love?" Sophie said, unblinking. "Unfortunately, this really is the safest way after all that's happened."

Agatha couldn't speak.

"I've missed you, Aggie," Sophie said softly. "I really have."

Agatha stilled. "Not Y/n?"

Sophie nearly snarled. "That witch took what was mine."

Agatha was shaking her head. "You don't understand, Sophie. They don't love—"