Chapter 41

"You're almost Trial team leader!" Hort beamed, hurrying me to our first class. "So remember. I help you and you help me. Deal?"

I didn't answer, legs heavy, breath dodgy. At sunrise, I'd wandered back to the dungeons, managing only an hour of sweaty sleep before Tedros woke me up, freshly bathed in a cut-off shirt and holding a hunk of buttered bread.

"Thought Aric would have my head for showing up at breakfast, but no one said a thing. Think they're all afraid of Peter the Barbarian after last night," the prince said, grinning at me. "Come on, mate, eat up."

Eyes coated with sleep, I squinted at the bread's oily coat of butter. My cavernous stomach was rumbling as usual, demanding anything edible, but my exhaustion was stronger. I moaned and pulled the sheets back over my shorn, fluffy hair.

"Well don't whine later," Tedros said, biting into the loaf himself. "Better get moving if you want a bath, Pete. Only ten minutes before class."

I sighed heavily and pulled into a sitting position.

"I know I was a bit of an ass when we first met, but I'm glad we're mates now," I heard Tedros say across the room. "And glad you won't be bunking my challenges anymore. Need to win today so I can get in that tower tonight. If I find the Storian myself, maybe Manley will give me a spot on the Trial team."

I felt nauseous. "So you can kill Y/n."

"So I can protect you from her."

I looked over, eyes wide.

"Along with everyone else," the prince said, as he slipped on his uniform shirt.

"Peter!"

Hort's nasal voice snapped me out of her daze.

"Do we have a deal?" he goaded me as we turned towards Evil Hall.

"Deal," I said forcefully to Hort, picking at my uniform's snug breeches. "You need to help me get back on Storian duty tonight."

"That's my Peter. Boys spreading rumors you spared Tedros from punishment last night, and I knew it couldn't be true. Tedros wagered all of us on this Trial, including you. Least we can do is teach Prince Handsome a lesson—"

"No. This is about my ranks, not anyone else's. Leave him alone."

Hort stopped dead in the hall. "You did spare him last night!"

I turned to Hort, my sharp-jawed, princely face ice-cold. "Don't think it's any of your business, frankly."

Hort gaped at me as if he'd been stabbed. Then he swallowed and forced a smile. "B-b-but—but we're still best friends though, right, Peter?"

"Of course," I said, not looking at him as I walked ahead.

"Good man," Hort gushed, skipping to catch up. "Just making sure you know who your real friend is."

***

With her last chance to find the Storian at stake, I knew I'd have to win most of the day's five challenges.

I felt palpable relief after I won the first two, especially when Hort didn't even help. I felt like I was growing into this new body. I was faster, stronger. It felt like I could do anything.

But Tedros still was barely behind me, placing second rank in both.

As I entered Professor Manley's charred classroom, focused on the next challenge, I felt the prince hang his arm over my broad shoulders.

"I'll beat you this time, Pete."

"Ah, but if I win, I'm on guard duty. Perhaps if I find the Storian, it'll stop your stupid Trial," I shot back.