Chapter 53

I woke, groaning. There was a severe ache in my side that had not been there before. I tried to raise my hand to wipe away the sleep from my eyes, but it wouldn't move.

I froze, eyes widening, the memories coming back in flashes.

Tedros and Agatha sneaking into the school. Trapping Tedros in the school tower. Being carried through the school gates. . .villains chasing us. . .being dropped into a cloak.

Being taken away from Rafal.

I grunted, writhing against my restraints. I was lying on a bed, my hands tied above my head, much like the position I had Tedros in before. I was also in some sort of cave, with a dim torch on the wall being the only source of light.

I struggled more, letting out an angry scream, but the rope only bit into my skin.

The door to the room swung open. Light spilled in, eating up the darkness. I blinked rapidly until my eyes adjusted.

Standing in the doorway as Agatha.

"You," I snarled.

"It's good to see you too," she replied, shutting the door behind me.

"Where the hell am I?" I barked.

"League Headquarters," she replied.

"League? League of what exactly?"

"The League of Heroes."

I blinked at her. "You're kidding me."

She shook her head.

"What the actual fuck is wrong with you!" I screamed. She flinched. I didn't care. "Who the hell gives you the right to waltz into my school and take me away from my love—"

"Your love?" Agatha asked incredulously. "That love of yours nearly killed us. He's Evil."

"No shit."

Agatha glared at me, hard. I glowered right back.

"He's no better than you," I grit out. "You. . .you murderer."

Agatha clenched her jaw.

Then she left without a word.

***

By the time the weak warmth of sunrise left League Headquarters, the League was gone too.

I had caused quite a scene when being escorted from my room. I shrieked and writhed as I was dragged, bound and gagged, out the door. I hadn't even stopped to gape at the famous heroes from the fairytales I had grown up reading.

I tried to use my magic as well, but Merlin had done something, some sort of spell, to make it so I couldn't.

Damned wizard.

Apparently the villains knew where the Headquarters were, hence the sudden movement. Everyone was to spread out among the forest to draw Rafael's forces in different directions, while me, Tedros, Agatha, and Hort were to travel to a safe house.

Oh joy.

I still couldn't believe what had happened. Agatha and Tedros had taken me from Rafal. I was finally happy there. With him.

And they had to come along and ruin that.

I stood with Merlin and Agatha, hands bound, under a fungus-infected oak a few paces from the entrance hole, watching old heroes go their separate ways into the Woods, satchels of clothes, food, and drink weighing down their backs. Tinkerbell and Cinderella journeyed to the west, Pinocchio and Red Riding Hood to the east, Jack and Briar Rose to the north, and Uma, Yuba, and the White Rabbit to the south, with Hansel and Gretel wheeling their rickety chairs behind them.