Chapter Seven

Puss half expected to open his eyes and see God, he really did. Kitty could've shot any one of them, even herself. When he did, though, the image that met him was Humpty lying in a pool of his own yolk. He wasn't moving.

He knew he should mourn for his dead hermano, but in that moment he wanted nothing more than to spit on the body. Huevo traidor, he thought angrily. Suddenly, there was a cry for help.

"Puss!" It was Kitty. Puss raced towards the direction of her voice.

"Kitty, where are you?!" he shouted anxiously, hoping no harm had come to her.

"Over here!" she replied, and he found her blindfolded and tied to a chair. Whoever had done it had worked quickly.

"Kitty, mi amor, who did this to you?" His words were met with a sword jabbing his back.

"Puss in Boots," the owner of the sword said sternly. "I've longed for this day." Puss saw a masked female cat clothed in battle armor. She didn't look like somebody you'd want to trifle with.

"Who...are you?" Puss said, clashing swords with the gata.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" she jeered at him. He snarled.

"Take off the mask," Puss seethed. "Now."

She growled in response. "I said," Puss reiterated, "take off the mask." The female held up her hands in mock surrender.

"As you wish," she said, and yanked the thing off her head rapidly.

Puss thought he was seeing a ghost. There was no way for this to be possible.

He swore in dismay, and then a single word escaped his lips.

"Dulcinea?