Chapter 16: The Childhood Friend

A/N: I apologize if our best boy Alistair's turn has taken a while, but here it is! His part will feature some scenes that aren't mentioned in the main series. It's the chance to get to know him a little bit better!

 It's the chance to get to know him a little bit better!

ALISTAIR

WOULD FRIENDS grow apart because of the distance between them? Or would they drift away because it was their choice? Iyan ang tanong ko mula nang nalaman kong lilipat na sa ibang school ang aking kababata. Malungkot na balita iyon para sa akin, ngunit naintindihan ko kung bakit kailangan. If that was what she needed and if that was what her father thought was best for her, I would fully support the decision no matter how much it would affect me.

But if there was one thing that I could wish for, it's simple: I wanted us to stay in touch.

My dad and I were on the way to a restaurant for a lunch meeting with his friend. We were being driven by his driver in his black luxury sedan. Nagtaka ako kung bakit kinailangan niya akong isama. If it was a catching up meeting, then I had no business to be there. I had nothing to contribute in their discussion.

"Is your mind already made up about choosing HUMSS as your senior high strand?" my dad Alastor asked me. We settled down at the back seat. "Alam kong napag-usapan na natin 'to dati, pero may one week pa bago matapos ang enrollment. You can still change your mind, if you want. You can still choose ABM."

I shook my head. It was too late for that. "My mind's already made up, dad. I want to be a lawyer and I believe that HUMSS is the best strand to accomplish that."

"Well, you can be a corporate lawyer. You can help your sister Alison run our company once your mom and I retire. She even pursued her master's degree in Business Administration abroad just to prepare herself."

"Sorry, dad, but I really want to be a criminal lawyer or a human rights lawyer. I've already explained to you why. I hope you understand."

"Because you want to protect the rights of the poor, the vulnerable, and the marginalized? That's very kind of you, Al. But that line of work won't make you money."

"I'm not after the money," I corrected him with a smile. "I will still probably earn from that job, but not much."

What my dad and the others (who might be disappointed with my choice) sometimes failed to understand was it's not just about the money. They could call me idealistic or living in my own reality, but I wanted to make an impact in this country, in this world, in my own way. Maraming paraan upang ma-achieve ko 'yon, ngunit para sa akin, ang pinaka-match sa passion, skills at resources ko ay ang pagiging abogado.

"If you're already decided, I won't try to convince you anymore," my dad finally gave up, throwing his hands up in the air. "I will still be here to support you."

"Thank you for understanding, dad," I replied as I glanced sideways at him. Then I looked out of the car window. "By the way, you haven't told me who we're meeting with."