Chapter 18: February Soiree

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that readers may find triggering. Reader discretion is advised. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

ALISTAIR

I COULD still remember what happened that eventful night. St. Bartholomew High School was holding its February Soiree back then. Isa ito sa pinakaabangang program ng student council kung saan makapagsasaya ang mga estudyante bago ang finals week. I was also excited about it, but not as excited as everyone else.

"Are you going to attend the party tomorrow?" I asked Lorelei who shared the table with me at lunchtime. She was enjoying a plate of pasta while I was eating a bowl of salad. "Lionel told me na may in-invite silang local singers at bands para tumugtog."

She shrugged as she twirled some noodles with her fork. "You know that I'm not into those kinds of party. Siguradong magiging maingay at magulo roon. I won't mind if it's a formal event where there would be order all throughout. How about you? Sure na pupunta ka na?"

I gave her a nod. "I volunteered to be part of the organizing committee so I have to attend. Naghahanap kasi ng volunteer si Lionel kaya nagpresenta na ako. I'll make sure that the event won't be as chaotic as you thought it would be."

"Now that's reassuring," she said with a smile. "But won't they be serving both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks? Baka may mag-amok o magwala habang nag-e-enjoy ang attendees?"

"Only to those of legal age," I clarified. "The committee has given specific instructions na huwag bibigyan ng alcohol ang mga minor. While we want everyone to enjoy the event to the fullest, there has to be some limits."

"Even with those measures, I think some students will try to find a way to work around it. Alam mo na, kung gusto may paraan, 'di ba? You think a simple age restriction will prevent stubborn students from getting some alcoholic drinks?"

"Don't worry. We'll be there to make sure that the event will end without a hitch," I assured her. "Isa pa, hindi hahayaan ni Lionel na maging messy ang party bukas. He won't let it affect his candidacy for the student council."

"Is he running for president?"

"No, just for vice president."

She took in a forkful of pasta. "Since you're there and Lionel will make sure that nothing bad happens, I might go na."

"You don't have to come if you don't feel like it. But if you can, that would be great," I told her. "It's not every day that we get a chance to have fun in this school, given the academic workload."

"Yeah, right. It must be nice to have some breather. Sobrang nakaka-drain ng ilang subjects natin," she sighed. "This isn't the kind of breather that I usually enjoy, but this will do."

"By the way, how's the report you submitted to OSA?" I removed the cap of my bottled juice before sipping from it. "About Regina and her club? The one you mentioned days ago?"