three | approved

DEVI

"Why do you look mad?" Athena asks as I follow her upstairs, a sleeping Selene in her arms.

"No reason." I huff.

There's a reason.

She decided to come home when I was about to kiss Shay.

It's the ultimate betrayal.

Did she know that Shay and I were about to kiss?

No, but it was rude of her to cock-block me.

"Okay." She says in a voice that sounds like she doesn't believe me.

She shouldn't. She saw my red face when she walked in.

"How do you think mom will react to Shay?" I ask, ignoring the previous exchange between us.

"She'll probably enjoy the company." Athena says as we enter Selene's room. "Why? You don't think she'll like you with Shay?"

I'm not worried if my mom doesn't like the idea of me sharing a room with Shay, my mom has always been supportive of me. After father died, I finally felt safe enough to come out.

It sucked being in an environment where the energy was toxic, the man who I had to call dad was constantly homophobic which caused me to go further back into the closet. When he died I fucking bursted out of there as quickly as fucking possible.

My mom made me feel safe and secured and if anything were to happen with Shay, I just know she would be my biggest supporter.

My mom and Athena's opinions on people are important for me. I think Shay is a good person and I would like to see if there's a future with us, so once I get Athena and my mom's approval of her, I'll go and ask her on a date.

I'm not worried about moving too fast, I rather just find out if she's someone I would want to pursue, if she is I'll slow down.

"I'm not worried that she won't like me with Shay, I just hope she likes her as a person." I shrug as I watch Athena place Selene in her crib as gently as possible.

Athena rushes me out of the room, closing Selene's door so it's just ajar.

"You like Shay!" She whisper-yells.

My face turns red.

I start to rant. "I'm attracted to her, and I want to ask her out but I just want to see how you guys like her. I can't determine if I like her yet, I just met her a couple hours ago and like I don't know if she's like nice or-"

"Devi, please stop talking." She interrupts me. "I think Shay's nice, please stop being awkward and ask her out."

"Pfft, I'm not awkward." I glare at her.

"Only when we talk about your love life you are." She raises her eyebrows.

I ignore that. "So, do you like her?"

"I literally just said that she was nice, I like her." Athena rolls her eyes. "Reid said that she seemed like she had good intentions when he saw the way she looked at you, but he also mentioned taking away your inheritance if you ever bring a stranger near our daughter again."