The Ride

During the ride to Swap's home, Y/N and Swap started up a conversation in the back seat. Why are they in the back seat you may ask?
Y/N gets bad anxiety when drunk, and would not operate well in the passenger.

"And then they just face planted in the snow! We thought they would be okay, but due to their small size, they got buried! It took me and my brother ten minutes to dig them out!" Swap was talking about his adventures in the underground, when the human that freed them fell down.

"That's crazy! Were they okay? 10 minutes under snow is quite a long time, and I don't think they brought snow clothes to the Underground with them", Y/N asked, slightly worried about the child but moreso wanting Swap to keep talking. He had a way of telling stories that was very satisfying.

"Yeah, we got them checked out right after that with one of our friends. She said they were alright, but I declared that for the next few days I would watch over them to make sure they did not have a- cold? Right?" Swap asked, making sure he was using words right. Y/N was surprised that he didn't fully know what a cold was, but then remembered that he lived in the Underground his whole life and also most likely has never had a cold, nor needed to worry about one due to being a skeleton.

"Yes, a cold!" Y/N confirmed, and Swap lit up in excitement from getting it right. He continued with his story, and the two kept talking until they pulled up to Swap's house.

A tall skeleton in an orange hoodie ran out in distress, yelling out to the car.

"Bro, is that you?! I'm so sorry for falling asleep!!" He stopped a few feet in front of the car, as Rita, Y/N and Swap got out.

"Who are you two?" He asked Rita and Y/N, being a little skeptical of Y/N's existence and how they were with his brother.

"I'm Rita, and this is Y/N. Y/N wanted me to bring your brother home before I brought them home," Rita explained.

Y/N walked forward and held their hand out for shaking, "I work at the bar your brother went to tonight, and I made sure that he would get home safe. Make sure you stay awake in the future, this could've been very dangerous had Rita not been ready". Y/N lectured the skeleton, as he huffed in embarrassment.

"Thank you for that. And I promise to be more careful", he said as he shook their hand. "My name is Stretch."

"Nice to meet you." Y/N nodded as Swap walked up to his brother and the two shared a hug as Stretch made sure he was okay.

Swap turned back around and waved goodbye to Y/N. "Goodbye Y/N! See you some other time!"

"See ya Swap! Drink safely!" Y/N got back into the car and Rita drove it off the driveway and back into the road so they could head home.

The ride back was mainly silent until Rita spoke up. "So... You and Swap?"

"Yeah yeah, we only just met. Don't go around thinking people are together", Y/N rolled their eyes and started fiddling with their fingernail.

"Well.. if *I* was the one who met someone in a bar and took them home, I would've hooked up", Rita smirked and looked in the rearview mirror to see Y/Ns reaction.

Y/Ns eyes widened and they coughed in surprise. "I'm sorry, wh- what?!"

Rita looked back to the red light in front of the car. "You heard me."

"I did, but I did not process a thing that left your mouth. Seriously, please repeat", Y/N looked up to focus on what Rita was about to say more, trying to avoid the sight of the road.

"If I was the one who met someone in a bar and took them home, we would've hooked up that night," Rita explained, slower so Y/N could catch onto it.

"... No. Nah nah you know how I feel about that- stuff. I HATE hookups. So much" Y/N spoke as they went back to fiddling with their hands in their lap.

"Y'know hon- I think you may be something related to that. What's it called- Demi or something?" Rita suggested. Y/N shrugged and looked up to the mirror. 

"Maybe, who knows? Pretty sure it's just neurodivergency or some shit", Y/N shrugged. "Dunno what type though". 

"My moneys on you being autistic", Rita chuckled. "You fit the criteria way too much. Surprised you weren't diagnosed as a child." 

"I masked a lot of things as a child. My parents were kind of spooky when it came to emotions. Any big ones and they shut it down", Y/N grimaced and looked down at their feet, shuffling them around. 

"Oh... I am so sorry darling, I don't know how you managed to live with them," Rita murmured, and angrily honked at a slow driver in front of her. "Move grandma! I'd like to get home *before* three in the morning thank you!" 

Y/N giggled at Rita's road rage and leaned up to massage her shoulder. "It's alright Rita, we'll be home soon, it's just one slow driver." 

Rita took a breath and nodded. "Yeah. Thanks Y/N." 

"Anytime," Y/N smiled and laid back, closing their eyes. They were quite tired from dealing with drunk people all day, especially since most of the drunkards they dealt with were just pure bastards. A whole day of dealing with rude people and being yelled at, misgendered, etc. It's very tiring and can take a big toll on your mental health and self esteem. 

After just a few minutes, they had fallen asleep in the backseat. Rita looked back, finding the silence odd, until she saw Y/N laying back peacefully, chest slowly rising up and down. 

Rita smiled and brought her eyes back to the road, focusing on getting them home as peacefully as possible, so Y/N could sleep. 

After around ten minutes, Rita pulled into their driveway. She looked behind herself to make sure Y/N was still asleep, happy to see that they were. She got out and opened up Y/Ns door, lifting them up bridal style and carrying them into their home. 

Rita struggled to turn on the light, and just resorted to flicking the switch with her tail. She walked through the hallway and kicked open the door to Y/N's room. Rita softly laid Y/N down on the bed, covered them with their blanket, and gave them their comfort plush. Rita left the room with a gentle shut of the door and went to the living room to watch TV until she was tired enough to go to bed. 

Rita was watching some police dispatch show, when she heard shuffling from Y/Ns room. She looked over to the room to see Y/N walk out.

"Hey hon, you alright?" Rita asked, cocking her head to the side. Until she saw Y/Ns tear stained face.

"Woah woah woah -" Rita got up and ran over to Y/Ns side. "What happened?" She gently held the side of their face and rubbed their cheeks with her thumb softly.

"I had- it was-" They weren't able to finish their sentence as they burst out into tears again. Rita held them close as they cried into her chest.

"Was it him?" Rita whispered. Y/N was unresponsive for multiple moments, until they slowly nodded.

"I've got you darling, it's alright..." Rita comforted them. "Let's get you back to bed, okay?" Y/N nodded and Rita walked Y/N back to their bedroom.