Boss

Y/N took a bite of the pizza Rita had ordered an hour before, scrolling through their phone, uncomfortable by the silence that flooded the living room.

Usually, Rita and them would talk during lunch, about- whatever came to mind at the time. But right before she was going to sit down, she got a call from her boss.

"Let's eat, shall we?" Rita placed her plate in her spot and was about to sit down, officially starting lunch, until-

RINGGG.

"Huh-" Rita took her phone out of her pocket and grimaced when she saw the name across the screen.

"I'll be right back, okay? Start eating without me." Rita pressed answer and put the phone to her ear, walking away.

Y/N already knew who it was, and sighed as they looked at their plate, knowing that it'll be hard to eat without Rita around. After a couple minutes of sitting there, staring at their plate, they picked up the pizza and slowly brought it to their mouth.

They hesitated, but eventually took a bite, slowly chewing the food. It didn't taste as good as it does when Rita is there, but it would have to do.

Rita opened the front door and walked out onto the porch, so that Y/N didn't have to witness the conversation.

"Why aren't you in work?! We run a tight business here, people are always getting in trouble and need help!" The deep voice of her boss sounded from over the phone, making Rita wince.

"I informed you that I was not able to come in today, sir." Rita spoke carefully, and slowly, trying to sound as professional as possible. No reason to give him another thing to yell at her for.

"Nonsense! I have no evidence of that in the records! Are you trying to cheat your way out of doing your job, monster scum?" Her boss growled, and Rita furrowed her eyebrows, trying to keep herself from crying on the phone, she knew her boss would just insult her more from it.

"Absolutely not sir, I would never try to do that. You see, my roommate needs my attention today, so I need to stay home and take care of them" Rita explained, hoping, somewhere in her boss's cold, dark, stone heart, he would accept this and let her stay home.

"What's your roommate's name?"

Rita was taken aback by his words, but complied anyway. "Y/N L/N."

"Oh that one! Oh yeah I know them, they sell me beer at the BassHouse Bar!" Rita's boss bellowed.

"So... Can I stay home to take care of them?"

"Eh whatever, make sure they're good by the time their next shift is. When is it, by the way?" Her boss asked. Rita was uncomfortable talking about her friend's information like this, and made a mental note to go with Y/N when they go to work.

"Tonight, I'm pretty sure. They're working from 7pm to 1am." Rita spoke through gritted teeth, anger rising as the call kept on.

"Alrighty then! Make sure they're well enough to work by then. Go Kitty, nurse your friend back to wellness." And he hung up. Rita stared at her phone screen, ears laid back against her head.

"I hate that man. So much." She mumbled, and looked across the street, seeing a trash can turned upside down in front of a field. She recalled her neighbor putting it there for someone to take the other day, so she decided it was a perfect target to take out her frustrations on.

A rock came out of the ground right in front of Rita's feet. It was mossy and dirty, with weirdly colored spots all over it.

Rita pulled her leg back and kicked the rock slightly, careful to not overdo it. The rock launched from her porch to the trash can, hitting it right in the middle, leaving a hole. It landed a few feet behind it, and the trash can fell over.

Rita smirked and wiped her eyes, feeling tears slowly run down her cheeks.

"Oh come on, why now. Y/N needs me." Rita spat, angry at herself for crying at this moment.

Rita sat on the stairs to the porch and quietly cried to herself, trying to calm herself down somehow.

Her mind was running with insults and voices, most of which being her boss himself.

"Not doing enough"
"Cheating out of doing your job"
"You don't matter"
"Simple minded monster girl"
"Just give up!"

The last one screamed at her, so loud that she gasped. She hugged herself and began to hyperventilate.

'How funny. I'm supposed to help others with these sort of emotions... Why do I have to feel them too.'

Rita sobbed more, throat becoming sore. Her tail reached up to her lap as she gently held it, hugging it to her chest as she breathed heavily.

"I've got to calm down, I can't leave Y/N." She whispered to herself, softly petting her tail's fur. Soft things had always calmed her down, though she preferred things other than her own fur. It's become less soft to her over the years. But she didn't have a choice at the moment, now did she?

Rita stood up, tears staining her face and looked at her surroundings, trying to ground herself and prevent this meltdown from continuing.

She took deep, slow breaths, and began identifying the things around her. Eventually, she was able to think clearly again, and all she had to do was cover the evidence of tears, then everything would be alright.

Rita wiped her face, making sure her fur wasn't too wet, and turned around, opening the door, and entering the house.

Y/N's half eaten pizza sat on its plate, as they poked it with a pout.

"I'm sorry for that Y/N, are you alright?" Rita sat down and gave a guilty smile.

Y/N perked up the second Rita sat down. "Finally! I tried to eat on my own but- it didn't work out."

Rita chuckled. "That's alright. We'll work on that some other day. For now..." Rita picked up her slice. "Let's eat!"