six

✧ ✧ ✧

✧ ✧ ✧

Ruelle's skin felt sticky from sweat as herself, Cassian, Feyre, and Azriel went back inside the House of Wind; she lingered at the back of the group because of it. She didn't need them near her in such a foul state.

"So, are you going to finally have dinner with us tonight, Ruelle?" Feyre called out, turning her head back to acknowledge Rue. A kind smile sat across the High Lady's face, a hopeful one.

Ruelle thought back to Cassian's word from earlier in the day and knew immediately that he was right, not that she would ever admit it. She felt so alone here because she was isolating herself from the Night Court's inner circle. It had been centuries since she had been around so many people. She had forgotten what it was like to have companionship.  They weren't friends per se, but allies. Allies in a war that Ruelle knew she would not survive alone.

A small sigh escaped her lips as she tried to force a small smile to her mouth. A smile that looked almost as kind as Feyre's. "My first priority right now is definitely bathing, but after if I'm feeling like it, maybe I'll join you guys."

"You better," Cassian called out as she spun to take off down the hall towards the stairs that would bring her to the floor her room was on.

The steady sound of footsteps trailed behind her, without turning to see who it was she called out a guess. "Since when did the High Lady have wings, Shadowsinger?"

A small smile appeared on her face as she heard Azriel's shuffle as he caught up to her pace. Once she felt him at her side, she turned her eyes to meet his. His stunning hazel eyes casted down on her, not so subtly running up and down her body in a way that made her skin tingle. "When Feyre was made Fae, she inherited gifts from each of the seven High Lords."

Ruelle thought for a moment of what he said. "Feyre can shapeshift like the High Lord of Spring?" she asked, although she was pretty certain of the answer.

Azriel nodded nonetheless, "Yes."

"Interesting."

"It is quite interesting," he responded as they descended down the stairs, side by side.

Ruelle thought back to how Feyre and Azriel just appeared on the balcony, "And she can fly with the wings she summoned?"

Azriel chuckled slightly, "She's learning."

Ruelle's mouth fell open as she realized the meaning that was hidden beneath his short words. "You're teaching her?"

He nodded once again, "Yes."

Ruelle head bobbed in response as well. "Well, that explains why you weren't around at all today." She tried to pay him no attention but as the words left her lips, she realized how it sounded. How it almost seemed like she was looking for him. Missing him even.