seven

✧ ✧ ✧

✧ ✧ ✧

A soft mummer of voices conversing could be heard through the towering oak door that sealed Rhysand's office shut. The sound so faint, Ruelle could not tell who was standing on the other side of the door.

When she awoke this morning, she had decided to ask Rhysand herself about being allowed access to the library that had been mentioned when she had struck her bargain with the Night Court. The thought of having her diadem back as sparked a hope that she had lost long ago. Patience was a virtue that Ruelle did not possess and hers was wearing thin.

Her knuckles softly tapped on the oak, producing a deeper sound than she had expected. The voices on the other side hushed when her presence was known. The muted patter of footsteps met her ears before the door began to open. Rhysand looked surprised to see her standing in the doorway.

"Well, hello there," he said opening the door fully to reveal both Azriel and Cassian standing around his desk. Neither of the Illyrian's were downing their fighting leathers, but their stoic faces made it look like a war meeting all the same. Like every other time Ruelle had been in the High Lord's presence, he looked immaculate as always. Dressed in dark slacks with a black button up that was cuffed around his forearms. Not a hair on his was out of place, she noticed as his violet eyes met her cerulean ones.

"Am I interrupting?" She asked, but truthfully, she did not really care.

Shaking his head, "No, not at all," he said. As Ruelle met Azriel's gaze behind the High Lord, she wasn't entirely sure that was true. "Can I help you with something?"

Ruelle looked back to him. "I want to go to the library you mentioned. We need to start looking for my diadem if we are to find it before the fighting starts."

A soft sigh left Rhysand as he brought a hand up a drug it across his face tiredly. It was obvious to Ruelle that this was not a top priority of his. "Need I remind you that we have a bargain," her gaze was piercing.

"I'm aware," Rhysand responded. "There's just a lot going on right now."

"You do not need to accompany me. I am perfectly capable of looking through dusty old books myself."

The High Lord opened his mouth to speak but Ruelle beat him to it. "Is it that you still don't trust me? I have not given you any reason to doubt my loyalties. I may have kicked your general's ass in the sparring ring, but Cassian consented to that. I have not used my power once since being within this House, so what is it." she went on, unable to figure out why he wouldn't allow her to go. "We had a deal."

"You don't understand, it is not that."

"Then explain it to me."

"The library here in Velaris is built into the mountain beneath the House of Wind," Ruelle scoffed at Rhysand's words. She could not believe she had been above it this whole time. "But it is a sacred place. Very few are allowed to enter and those that are, must be approved by the priestesses that reside there," he paused as Ruelle's eyes narrowed. "When I became High Lord, I vowed to be better than my father. To be better than those who ruled before me. I created the library to be a safe place for females who were wronged. The priestesses there have all be harmed in some way. I promised them that they would remain safe here. I intend to keep that promise."