Part Eight

Warning: hunting of animals, mention of violence

********

You rode out the next morning alongside your father and the rest of the hunting party, honestly, you had no patience for the snobbish ladies of the court, so you were quite relieved that he asked you to accompany them again.

Coming to a stop within a clearing of the woods, the party was greeted by a large stag that had been captured by the huntsmen. You remain upon your horse along with the rest of the party as your father dismounted.

"He may not be white, your Grace but he is a big lad" Ser Harwin remarks to your father as he wrestled with the stag to keep it in place, and you could not help the faint smirk of admiration that crossed your lips as you watched him.

Your father walks to it in an almost dazed manner, causing you to frown in concern.

"Your Grace... for the kill" Jason 'the weasel' Lannister hands him the golden spear.

Your father takes hold of it, studying it for a second and then proceeds toward the stag.

"Right here, your Grace" the royal huntsman points to where to deliver the death blow on the creature.

Taking a moment to ground himself, your father then suddenly turns around toward you and the rest of the party.

"Visenya... it would honour both your brother and I if you were the one to deliver the death blow."

Everyone looks at him in surprise, all except for Ser Harrold, Lord Lyonel, and Harwin of course; their faces having a broad smirk across them.

Dismounting your horse, you walk to him with a smile upon your face.

"You honour me Father..." you reply, unsheathing Dark Sister.

"Your Highness, the spear..." Lord Jason speaks up, offering you the use of it.

"Thank you, Lord Jason but gold is of no comparison to Valyrian steel..." you deliver the insult in the sweetest of manner, causing most of the hunting party to softly snicker.

Your father gives you a stern look at your remark, failing miserably at it though with the smirk threatening to slip across his face.

You flush him an innocent grin, causing him to wink at you in response as he indicates with a head tilt for you to proceed.

You step up to the stag, tilting your head at it in sympathy. "Thank you for your sacrifice...", lifting your sword in the air, you swiftly bring it down, cutting the head off the creature with one blow.

*****

Harwin stood in utter awe at you after the stag had been put down, he had never seen someone that was both sensitive and lethal at the same time as you.

Wiping your sword clean upon your hunting trousers and sheathing it, your eyes make contact with Harwin's then, instantly halting his breath when you flash him a faint smirk.

With a smirk of his own, Harwin nods at you in respect, resulting in you reacting in a manner you had never before done till now; you blushed. It was the most adorable thing Harwin had ever seen in his life, making it his mission now to be the reason behind pulling such reactions from you in future.

*****

After the hunt had finished everyone returned back to the encampment, where you found yourself surrounded by the court applauding you on the kill after your father proudly announced it for all to hear.

You did your duty, smiling and nodding at all that congratulated you, when in truth all you wanted to do was run from them and their pretentious ways. Gods... you had forgotten how suffocating the royal court could be.

After some time, you were finally free to roam the encampment, noticing Ser Harwin skinning some rabbits at a nearby table, you decide to head to there.

"Mind if I join you gentlemen?" you ask Ser Harwin and the man accompanying him.

"You honour us, Princes..." Ser Harwin responds with a broad smile.

Taking a seat, you turn to the other gentleman. "I do not believe that I have made your acquaintance."

"No, we have not, your Highness" the gentleman replies with a tight smile.

"Larys Strong, your Highness..." he bows his head, "youngest son of Lord Lyonel."

"A pleasure to meet you Ser" you smile at him.

"The pleasure is all mine, Princess" he flashes you a tight smile again, causing you to feel a bit unsettled by it. You could not quite put your finger on it, but there was something about him that did just not seem quite right.

"I have heard nothing but praises from my brother for your remarkable kill during the hunt, I must commend you on it, your Highness."

"There is nothing commendable in killing something that is innocent and helpless" you respond to his remark. "Now dealing a death blow during battle or to one that is deserving of it... that is more to my liking."

You could not help the smirk tugging at your lips at the taken aback look on Larys' face then, when you noticed Harwin was battling at withholding one as well, you lightly chuckled.

"There is no need to look so shocked" you remark to Larys, "I am quite sure you have heard of my affinity for such things."

"Nothing but good things where those matters are concerned, your Highness..." Larys stammers apologetically.

"No need to be so jittery Larys..." you chuckle, "I was merely jesting with you."

Harwin, no longer able to hold his own laughter back, comments. "The Princess has you all tongue-tied now, little Brother..."

"It is not remotely amusing, Brother..." Larys scowls at him. "For a mere moment I feared for the loss of my head."

"No need to fear, Larys... I have only beheaded murderers thus far" you flash him a toothy grin.

Harwin bursts out chuckling even louder as Larys' face turns deadly white in fear.

After the laughter had settled down, Harwin then offered to teach you how to skin a rabbit. You attentively watched as he went about the process, your attention on the man himself rather than what he was doing.

You are snapped out of your daze when noticing a look of concern crossing Harwin's features. Looking yourself, you see it was the arrival of Rhaenyra, covered in blood that had caught his attention.

Looking back at Harwin then, you were utterly gutted when seeing him give her the same smirk and head nod, he had you.

Rhaenyra heeds him no attention, merely stoically glancing pass him; unlike your foolish reaction of earlier had been.

For a mere moment you had foolishly believed that Harwin might be romantically interested in you. Oh, you foolish woman... of course the 'Delight' always comes ahead of the 'Disaster'.

"If you will excuse me, I must attend to my sister" you utter softly, head cast down as you got up and left.

*****

"I do believe that I am no longer the one that needs to fear beheadment..." Larys remarks after you had left.

Harwin frowns at him in confusion. "Meaning?"

"You, dear Brother just injured the pride of a dragon, and that is far more lethal than awakening their anger..."

"I do not understand what you are speaking of Larys" Harwin stares at your departing form with furrowed brows.

"The minute you smiled at Princess Rhaenyra; the Princess Visenya's facial expression fell to one deeply hurt."

Harwin looks to his bother then to confirm whether he was being truthful, Larys nods at him with a faint smirk.

He could not believe that he had unwittingly hurt you. It was never his intention. How he was to make amends for it, he was not sure, but would make it his mission to do so. He vowed to do everything and anything to win back your affection.