Part Sixteen

Warning: swearing, mention of sexual content, mention of abortifacient

*************

Your mind was a whirlwind of thoughts after having spoken to your father about the events of the previous night. What in the Seven was Daemon thinking to take Rhaenyra to a brothel? And to be seen openly coupling in said place?

You knew your uncle was a very promiscuous person (there was no denying that), yet to take your sister; an unmarried royal princess and the heir to the throne to such a place to participate in the activities, was utterly moronic. That was why you had done your best to convince your father that what Otto had told him was nothing but lies, (although deep down, you were quite sure that there was some truth to them), you had to make sure that your sister's reputation remained unsullied.

And if it meant getting rid of Otta Hightower to ensure, then even the better. You had to remove the huge influence he had over your father and protect your sister's claim to the throne. Killing two birds with one stone.

*****

Agitated with all that had happened and with Harwin on day duty, you needed another form of distraction so that you wouldn't confront Rhaenyra before your father did.

If Rhaenyra's chambers had a secret doorway, then surely there must be one in each of the other royal chambers?

You were curious to about it when discovering the one in hers and wonder whether there might be one in your own chambers. With that new thought in mind, you sent your handmaidens away with the pretense that you weren't feeling well and not to disturb you for at least an hour whilst you took a nap.

It took quite a bit of searching and rearranging the chamber until you found the secret doorway. It opened onto a stairway the same as Rhaenyra's and as you followed the path, you were quite surprised that was shorter of a distance leading toward the chamber that housed the shrine of Balerion's skull.

Making yourself comfortable upon the floor in the center of the chamber, you silently sat staring mesmerized at what was left of what was once The 'Great' Black Dread.

"The things you had seen and done during your lifespan must have been as magnificent as you were..."

"The battles you fought under the guidance of Aegon the Conquer, the blood shed under Maegor the Cruel, and then peace under my father. Mayhaps that is why you perished, aye?"

You gently tilted your head with a faint smile.

"Being trapped in the Dragonpit, instead of being free along with Vhagar?"

"You should see her now... she has grown far greater than you. A bit grumpy and aged, yet still magnificent in her own right."

A chuckle slips from your lips as you shake your head in amused at your words.

"I have claimed her as her rider, you know? The second Visenya to ride the 'Great' Queen of All Dragons..."

"I believe she misses you at times. She seemed so only in the beginning, spending all those years alone after my grandfather's death."

Getting up from the ground; you dust yourself off, giving him a short nod.

"Do not fear though, I vow to take good care of her."

*****

It was late in the evening when you finally went to see your sister.

"Vi..." she greets from her seat.

"I take it that you have spoken with father" you state matter-of-factly after seeing the look on her face.

"I take it, you have heard of the tales Otto has span then?" she utters, closing the book she had been reading with a heavy sigh.