~the drive~

autumn 2013

the drive to the cabin was one that claire had always enjoyed. most people would hate to spend 6 hours cooped up in a van with their parents and annoying little brother, but claire loved it. they were always in such high spirits; the week ahead of them something they looked forward to for months. it was impossible to be in a bad mood. 

"mom, can you put on 'what makes you beautiful'?" claire asked.

luke scoffed. "i hate one direction. it's all you listen to, claire." he grumbled.

her mom, in the passenger seat of the vehicle, played the song. the upbeat rhythm of the music instantly filled the space. 

"you're insecure, don't know what for." the boy band sang.

it instantly brought a smile to claire's face. she had been listening to all of their songs recently, and any time the music played, it always boosted her mood.

"everyone else in the room can see it!" claire sang along. she glanced over at luke, who was trying to look unimpressed, but she didn't miss the slight tap of her younger brother's foot.

"baby, you light up my world like nobody else!" claire grabbed luke's hand and started swinging it as she sang.

"stop!" he said, but he was laughing right along with her.

"sing, luke! i know you know the words!"

"you don't know, oh-oh."

"YOU DON'T KNOW YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL!" this time luke was singing with claire, finally giving in. 

the rest of the drive looked pretty similar to this moment. singing songs, laughing as they got closer and closer to their destination. giddy with excitement as claire thought about seeing karl and jess again.

the fun-filled drive to the cabin was the perfect start to it all.