epilogue

*six months later*

being with karl was everything she ever dreamed it would be.

he was so kind to her, so caring. he put her first and she did the same.

after just a few months of dating, karl and jess met claire's parents again. claire could tell how emotional it was. they truly did love those kids, even if they ended on a bad note. there was a whole lot of "oh, you've grown so much!" but overall, the evening was a huge success. her parent's loved karl a lot; they always had. (change this whole paragrapgh)

a short while after that, claire met anne and - jacobs again.

she really loved anne and -, and it was so great seeing them again. there was just so much love between the two families, it broke her heart that they were apart for so long.

but not anymore.

slowly but surely, they were starting to make steps in the right direction; steps to reunite the family again. just a few weeks ago, they had had a huge dinner with everybody, and a lot of progress was made! sure, it would take a while to mend the tension (change word?) again between the parents, but they were definitely getting there.

claire couldn't wait for the day to come where things went back to how they were; only better, because this time, she was with karl in the way she always wanted to be: a loving and caring relationship.

now, they were sitting together on karl's swing on his back porch, watching the sun go down.

"i wonder what would have happened if jess never invited us back to the cabin." claire wondered aloud.

"i don't know. but i like to think that i would have found another way to you." karl said, hugging her closer.

"still, i'm really glad she did. i'm really glad we're all together again."

"me too."

she had loved this boy for over a decade. if little claire could see her now, she would be absolutely overjoyed. everything was coming full circle: she had known karl her whole life, and now she hoped to be with him for the rest of it. she couldn't picture anyone else she would rather be with in this moment, and every moment to come.

they had been through enough together that claire was confident their love would last. if it could withstand four years apart and enough trauma for the both of them, she believed it could stand the test of time.

they would cherish their positive times together, and they could fight through the negative ones. as long as they were together, they could do it. they were a team. always had been.

"claire?"

"yes, karl?"

"i love you."

"i love you, too." she kissed him and whispered, "so much."