13

it took claire a long time to get over that day.

for many reasons: the traumatizing night itself, the sadness she felt for her brother, being separated from her best friends, from her favourite place in the world.

she didn't want history to repeat itself. after she finally got her friends back, she didn't want them to be ripped away from her again. she didn't want to go years without seeing them.

even though they promised to see each other again soon, she was still afraid it wouldn't happen. some deep instinct told her not to get her hopes up. she didn't know why, exactly, but it probably had something to do with how broken she was when they were last separated.

and karl-

she wished things weren't so complicated. she wanted to know how karl felt. she wanted to be with him, desperately, but she didn't want to get rejected. she didn't want to make things weird after she only just got him back . . .

"you should tell him."

luke's voice jerked her suddenly out of her thoughts. she whirled around in her seat and stared at her brother.

"what?"

"you should tell karl."

claire felt her face blush straight to her hairline. it was a good thing luke was focused on the road, because claire was sure she was bright scarlet at that moment.

"tell him what?" she asked, scared for luke's answer.

"it's pretty obvious you like him, claire. and i'm pretty much certain he likes you, too. so, tell him."

claire didn't even bother denying it; the way luke spoke so matter-of-factly, as if this was the most obvious information, claire knew there was no point lying to him.

instead, she sighed. "i don't know . . ."

"you've gotta make something happen, claire. life doesn't wait for you to be ready."

claire laughed. "wow, luke. that's a pretty deep thing for a teenage boy to say."

"thanks. i saw it on the back of a gum wrapper once."

"a gum wrapper-"

"that's not the point! what i'm saying is that if you wait too long, it'll be too late. you have to take a chance."

claire didn't respond, turning things over in her mind.

"so? are you gonna do it?"

"over text? that'd be pretty lame, luke."

"no, not over text. in person. like, show up at his house tomorrow. i don't think they ever moved out of their old place, so we can go there. i can drive you."

claire decided to focus on the least important thing luke said. "i can drive, you know."

"oh, i know. i just wanna watch it happen." luke said, giving her a huge grin.

claire rolled her eyes dramatically.

but all jokes aside, telling karl seemed . . . well, it seemed many things. scary, for sure. nerve-wracking. but at the same time, her heart wanted it. inside, there was a hope that she felt whenever she thought of karl.

"claire, i really think you should. i know it's scary, but i could help you!"

"maybe . . ." she replied.

"really? yes!"

"luke, a maybe is not a yes!"

"it totally is."

claire scoffed. "and anyways, why do you care so much?"

"because." luke shrugged. "you guys are perfect for each other. and i want to see my sister happy."

hearing her little brother say something so mature made her eyes tear up a little bit.

"that's so sweet, luke. thank you."

"i don't wanna pressure you to do something you genuinely don't want to do, but just think about it, okay? i don't think you've realized, but karl really does like you a lot . . ."

"i'll think about it."

his words gave her a lot to reflect on. she wondered if she would have ever actually considered telling karl if luke hadn't brought it up. of course, it was a scary thing, but it also seemed right. she had known him since forever, had been open and honest with him so many times.

telling him seemed like a no-brainer, but would her nerves be too much to handle? would she chicken out in the end?

oh, she wished someone could just hand the answers to her.

taking chances was scary.

but sometimes, they were so, so worth it.