~movie night~

a / n

the following chapter contains lots
of maze runner references, so if you've never
read / watched it, you may not understand
all of it. sorry!!
(no spoilers tho, don't worry)

autumn 2015

the group of four friends were settling down for a movie night, something they did often. blankets and pillows were strewn all over the floor and couches of the cozy living room, a bowl of freshly made popcorn waiting for them on the coffee table.

jess was getting the movie set up, excited to show it to them. they would be watching the maze runner, another one of jess's favourite book series. they were finally at the age where they could all enjoy the film: 11, 13, and 15. jess had already seen it a couple of times, but was more than willing to watch it again.

"remember luke," claire said, "if this gets too scary for you, you don't have to watch."

"i'm not a baby, claire. i can watch this." he replied easily. "plus, i'm not scared of anything."

jess interjected. "if you ain't scared, you ain't human."

luke looked at her, confused, prompting her to roll her eyes. "you guys are so uncultured. you'll understand soon enough." she jumped up from her spot on the couch and stood in the center of the room. "guys, get ready for adventure, for fear, for love, for heartbreak!" she swung her arms in a dramatic display of emotion, making the younger ones surrounding her laugh.

"so dramatic, jess." karl said with a shake of his head.

"oh, just you wait." she warned, turning back to the tv. "without further ado, the maze runner!" she hit play and the movie began.

within minutes, each young viewer was intrigued. the plot was interesting and immediately captivating. the grievers sent chills of fear down everyone's spine. they laughed at the funny parts, jumped at the scary ones. they even found themselves tearing up at a certain part . . .

claire could see why jess loved the movie, and she found herself loving it as well.

when it was finished, nobody could stop talking about it, they were all so excited.

the very next day, while playing in the woods, they decided to make the maze runner a part of their game. karl was thomas, claire was teressa, jess was minho and luke was newt (ironic, because in just one year's time, luke would have a similar limp to the fictional character).

call them childish, but they loved this kind of thing. out at the cabin, they could be kids, despite their age. who cared about what the average teen was doing at their age? scrolling mindlessly through instagram? instead, the troublemakers were running from invisible grievers and climbing up tall trees to escape from them. they were running and laughing, out of breath. out here, at the cabin in autumn, they could be themselves.