10 Uçuşları

Whoever has a cathedral to build in his heart is already a winner.

Victory is the fruit of love.

Love alone recognizes the face to be kneaded.

Love alone governs towards it.

Intelligence is only valuable in the service of love.

Terre des Hommes

Antoine de Saint Exupéry.

Can

The sail of the "Albatross" finally hoisted, we take advantage of the Alizé* to propel the hull and split the waves. It was about time. I designed this boat myself. Years of research, advice from nautical professionals and talks with Deniz, our daughter, a fervent sailor who has never been impressed by the arguments of certain detractors. It is not always easy for a woman to impose herself in a sector where men are still in the majority.

In short, our monohull is in the water and has already been baptized by many family cruises around Istanbul.

But this time, we took the open sea, the great open sea even.

Taking advantage of the fact that the children have all finished their year of study, we sail as a family to a place of pilgrimage that we have not seen for too many years.

Even Yildiz and Ates who are less inclined to leave their group of friends see this trip as a great adventure.

Until now, apart from the sea sickness which made Yildiz suffer the first fifteen days, and the lack of wind since we do not use the engine, everything goes on rather smoothly.

- Deniz, my darling, I leave you the helm, I'm going to see if your mother needs me, I'll take the walkie-talkie in case of need.

"OK baba"

A last look around and I join the cabin from where escapes a delicious smell of... burnt!

There are a lot of things that have changed in twenty years, but Sanem and the kitchen are definitely not among them. It's like oil and water, the two don't mix.

When I appear in the main room, chasing a cloud of smoke as I go, I meet my wife's sorry but mostly amused look. A few steps away, Ates growls at Yildiz who ignores him completely. And I can't help smiling frankly at the spectacle of this imperfect family, but which I wouldn't exchange for anything in the world.

"I promise you that everything is under control Can, it's just that I turned my back one minute to go get some condiments and when I came back bim! I'm sure it's that gas stove that's malfunctioning!"

Amused, I walk over and give her a hug before pinching her cheek and laughing at her gently.

Even if the years have dug some furrows around her eyes, making her smile even brighter, my wife has not lost anything of her candor and of this flame that shines in the bottom of her eyes. This is what seduced me from our first exchange of glances. And even today, I'm nourished by her freshness which radiates all around her.

Knowing me better than anyone else, our exchange of smiles refrains from comments. I know she made a mistake, but I wouldn't say it out loud.

"I'm going to have that stove serviced when we reach our destination."

Sanem sticks to me and brings her mouth close to my ear to whisper.

"Thank you my love."

And before she breaks away completely, she places a tender, lingering kiss on my lips. There again, even after all these years, I feel the goosebumps covering my skin, eager to prolong the divine sensations that are coming. Of course, this is without counting on the intervention of our audience and of Ates, particularly.