Preface

Vaelerys' father laid still, two stone eyes over his cold lids. In a days time he would return to the sea as all Velaryons had.

She was thirteen when her father passed. Her older brother Monford was thirty-two and was now Lord of Driftmark. Their half brother, Aurane, was sixteen and was displeased with his brothers inheritance.

"Would you stop staring at me like such in front of our little sister!?" Monford hissed as his bastard brother walked towards him.

Aurane laid his hand upon his little sisters shoulder, she did not cry. Neither did her brothers. Their father was not to be missed.

"Father was a fool Vael, and his favorite son is no better. He deserves nothing of the Velaryon name, he even carries his grandsires namesake, an Andal."

All three of the children possessed different mothers.   Monford was bore of their fathers first marriage to Carris Buckler of Bronzegate in the Stormlands. The marriage lasted only six years before Lady Carris died after a stable accident.

Monford was only four when his mother died. His father did not mourn the simple minded Carris which had left Monford a lonesome and loveless child.

Monford was six and teen when his father returned from a year long tour of Essos looking for new trading opportunities. Monford was in horror when his father returned with a three month old babe bore of a Lys whore. The Lys were some of the only living people left of Valyrian descent but had been enslaved as whores on the small island since the Doom.

Because of his father's ambition the Velaryon patriarch did not remarry until Aurane was three. The Velaryon married his cousin, Siera Velaryon.

Siera was a short and plump woman who had lived with her deceased mothers family in Dorne at The Tor, seat of House Jordayne.

Siera died in childbirth with the Velaryon daughter, leaving her alone with her brothers at Castle Driftmark.

Long ago House Velaryon mothered Kings and Queens of the Seven Kingdoms. The mother of the Conquerors themselves was a Velaryon daughter.

Monford Velaryon planned to do anything he could to restore their name to its glory, even if that meant marrying his younger sister to the enemy.