Seven

Vaelerys strode in the water gardens. It was the only place in all of Dorne birds could be heard singing instead of cawing after prey. She had taken Doran's words to heart and had decided to explore. Her guards occupied her when bored with small conversation.

The Princess Myrcella caught her eye as she noticed her and Prince Trystane.

"Princess Vaelerys!" Prince Trystane smiled as he waved his aunt over. Prince Myrcella held his hand proudly as she turned.

"I wanted to say how impressed I was at your wedding. No person has ever wounded my uncle and lived. The Dornish respect you. They speak of you in the streets of the city with pride for the new Lady of Sunspear. My uncle has been hiding in the brothel for days. They say he cut off a whores tongue when she asked him if he wanted her to wear a silver wig and play with his blade." Trystane laughed innocently.

Vaelerys' eyes grew at the comment on Oberyn. Young Trystane was of marrying age but hearing such foul words spoken so innocently caught her off guard. Her father and brother kept the subject of sex taboo, but the Dornish were not shamed for their desires. Vaelerys had no doubt the two lovers before her (despite their ages) had already committed the act out of wedlock.

She failed to believe Trystanes words that the people liked her. Prince Oberyn was their beloved protector and lover. He was a true Dornishman at heart, unlike his meek and calmly brother. They were a prideful people and would accept her easily.

"Princess Vaelerys." A voice echoed through the gardens.

Lord Arstan lightly jogged to the group. His lilac tunic bouncing, his short pale blonde hair curled at the edges of his tanned face framing it nicely.

"Prince Trystane, Princess Myrcella." He bowed before turning to the woman he had called after.

"Princess Vaelerys, my nephew and Lord Dondarrion have journey back home to Starfall. With Prince Doran's permission I will be staying at Sunspear for a time. I was hoping to welcome you to our culture since I know the Prince Doran is unwell and the Prince-" He paused awkwardly.

"Is unwilling to even speak to his wife. Yes, my Lord I would be glad to appreciate your company."

Vaelerys smiled sending off her nephew and future niece as she strode along with Arstan. The Daynes had always intrigued her they were a strange family, they weren't of the Rhoynar yet settled in the hot sands of Dorne thousands of years ago.

"Lord Arstan, it's said the Daynes are a special family. As a child I didn't have much company. My father didn't allow for me to have ladies in waiting or much company. So i often read. Besides the tales of Old Valyrian i found your families story the most interesting."

"I am flattered your grace." He bowed as they kept walking.

"I don't like that. The 'your grace' title. It feels wrong being called a princess. I am not from here so how can i be your princess." She laughed in amusement as she stopped looking back.

Prince Doran sat above overlooking the gardens. His brother by his side with a hard glare. She paused her cheekish flirting as he stared down his wife.

She couldn't see his face but she felt the tension between them. He stood leaning his weight onto one hand having it placed behind his brothers head.

"Your husband has returned, you should greet him." Arstan stated as he looked between Vaelerys and Oberyn.

"No. We walk." She said quickly before lacing her arm in his as they went deeper into the fountains.

"Oberyn Martell is not a good man to have as your enemy my Princess. You should greet him and show your sympathies. Even if your feelings are not true, it is better to keep yourself safe." Arstan stopped as they were out of sight.