Nine

Vaelerys watched as Arstan dueled in the training yard with his family sword of Dawn. Aero used his long spear as they trained.

Vaelerys had watched Aurane train often but the Dornish were different. Most used more agile styles and didn't wear normal armor, only thick leathers to protect themselves.

Samira and Loiya watched with her.

Arstan lost to Aero which was expected by all in the sandy yard. Claps erupted as the men began to put away their gear.

A woman entered the yard, Vaelerys couldn't help but think she looked like Oberyn. Small sharp eyes and a wide jaw. She held muscle but was lean and slender as she walked in. Some of the men nodded their heads.

It suddenly struck Vaelerys how familiar the face was. It was the Sand Snake who had ripped her from her carriage.

"Aero, do not put your gear aside yet. I am in need of a dueling partner." She smirked as she patted the man on the arm.

"Obara, I am too old of a man now to fight with you. You are too quick."

Vaelerys rose to her feet, readying herself to leave.

Obara knew her new "mother" was at the training yard. She found the notion of calling the seventeen year old mother humorous, as she was twenty and eight. Three more years and she would have been old enough to be her mother.

Obara had been sent by her father specifically to peep in on his wife. He had forbid her from participating in relations with Arstan Dayne, a kinslaying scorpion she could not stand.

Obara desired to set a level of respect between her and Vaelerys Velaryon. So she decided to leave an example by dueling.

"Princess!" Arstan called out as Loiya and Samira started grabbing the princess's things.

The sweat covered lord ran to the women. Vaelerys gave him a kind smile but urged him to keep his distance in his dirtied state.

"Obara Sand is fighting. Do not leave. You will want to see her fight." He pleaded as he motioned for her to sit.

Arstan appeared like a joyous kid at the news. The slightly intrigued princess sat back down with her ladies as Arstan leaned against the box.

"Obara fights just like her father. If you ever want a chance at beating him in a fight your first hurdle would have to be beating her. I've studied them both. I aspire one day to challenge her." Arstan mused.

Vaelerys was amazed by how Obara moved her body. She was agile and quick like a snake. Where moments ago Arstan struggled, she played with Aero like a child.

Vaelerys gasped as she watched her husbands eldest child twirl her body over Aero sharp blade like a feather caught in the wind.

"Even though Prince Oberyn is now fourty and two, he can still be the same in his age."

Vaelerys giggled a little looking to Arstan. He appeared like a child gawking at his idol. It puzzled Vaelerys, wondering why Oberyn had so much distain for him. He mentioned kinslaying but Samira had heard nothing of it when Vaelerys had asked her.

Arstan was a good man with a good heart. He worked hard, did not whore, and treated women with respect. The very opposite of Oberyn.

Applause sounded again when Aero landed on his back, Obara Sand smiling over him with her spear in the ground over his head.

Vaelerys looked away quickly as the Sand Snake looked her in the eye. Quickly Vaelerys said her goodbyes to Arstan and left with Loiya and Samira.

They walked the hot sands to return to the main hall of Sunspear. Vaelerys hissed as the sand burnt her tender skin as her sandals collapsed in the loose sand. 

"Princess are you alright?" Loiya asked worried as she helped left her from the small sinkhole.

"She has more to fear than sun scorched sands here in Dorne. Serpents hide under every dune."

Vaelerys looked back to her husbands bastard. Obara stood lonesome with a judging smirk as Loiya checked her lady's ankle for any injury.

Samira moved herself to stand between Obara Sand and Vaelerys.

"If I wanted to kill her Samira you know very well it would have already been done."

Samira did not move as the Sand Snake slithered forward. She stood inches from Samira's face, a knowing look in her eyes. With a nod she motioned for Samira to move, to which she obeyed.

"What do you want?" Vaelerys said fearfully as she protected Loiya, who was weak in constitution.

"My father asked you to stay away from Arstan Dayne. Do as your told and there will be no consequences. He may appear as the honorable lord you desired to marry before you found yourself here, but mark my words.... he is the deadly scorpion which may find its way into your bed."

Obara sounded like a mother scolding her child. But the roles were reversed in their circumstance.

"Oberyn called him a kinslayer. Is that what you refer to?" Vaelerys spoke up.

Obara nodded.

"Many do not know of his deeds, but the Martells do. There's a reason little Ned Dayne is away from Dorne. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you, he may end up killing you if you should ask him of his crimes. And I don't feel like fighting a war over the likes of your dead body."

Obara left as silently as she had arrived.