Twenty-Five

(poorly written chapter bc i lost my notes for this one)

Oberyn had been gone for three days, not even a shadow of his sultry figure had been seen in the outskirts of Sunspear City. Vaelerys had aided Trystane in urging his father to breathe life back into himself. A warm bath long needed had been ran, a shave and handsome cut had been provided, and a family supper of duck and lemon cakes had been dined.

Arianne had not taken the presence of 'Lady Velaryon' (as she called her) very well. The princess was oddly quiet, only ever paying mind to the handsome young guard across the room or her wine glass: full or when in need of filling.

"Arianne how does your mother fair?" Doran asked, a flirting Myrcella and Trystane paid no mind.

Vaelerys looked away from the three barren seats at the table. She assumed were Quentyn's, Ellaria's, and Oberyn's. The nights conversation had been rather dull with the two young lovers engrossed in themselves, Arianne's displeasure, and Doran's only recent improvement.

"Fine as always. Her harem has grown, the last younger than I." Arianne chuckled in boredom as she slouched playing with the bones of her eaten duck.

Vaelerys eyes went to her Good Brother. He did not flinch at the comment nor pay it any mind. She shouldn't have expected it, the Dornish were odd in their marital ways.

"She heard Oberyn married. Gave her a good laugh." Arianne grinned ear to ear as she eyed her aunt, whom was the same age as her mothers new toy.

"What doesn't your mother know of?" Doran gave a kind smile. He appeared to enjoy the nosiness of his estranged wife. Vaelerys noticed a bit of admiration in his eyes as he thought of her.

A silence over came the group. The sound of Princess Myrcella picking at her peas filled the air, and Trystane's fingers tapping about the polished wood of the table. He hummed the Dornishman's Wife as he observed his fingers.

Vaelerys thought of speaking, but she dared not. Her niece was temperamental from what she had seen and she had already communicated her feelings about her quite bluntly at the fountain with Oberyn. She saw Vaelerys as an outsider and an enemy.

Vaelerys had thought to mention Lord Willas Tyrell as she heard he was to arrive any day now. Although, it was a subject that had the potential to cause trouble at the table.

Vaelerys heavily sighed as she laid her utensils upon her plate. The sound giving courage to one of the members of the table to battle the monstrous silence.

Doran decided to be the one to wield the sword.

"Arianne, you have been oddly quiet this evening. Why not get to know your aunt?"

Arianne had ignored Vaelerys for most of the evening never once batting her long dark lashes in the direction of the younger woman.

Arianne viciously eyed Vaelerys as she turned to her. Vaelerys had no doubt the Princess Arianne imagined her unsheathing a dagger and plunging it through her heart.

Arianne had the same fire in her eyes as Oberyn. And soon to find out, his weapon of a tongue.

"She is no kin of mine. The only aunt I hath ever had is no more. As her ash lays in the Hall of Mother Rhoyne's Fallen with the rest of them."

Doran's face glowed with anger. Arianne eyed him. The lovers remained silent as the tension grew between father and daughter.

"Enough! How dare you use my sisters memory as a weapon against Princess Vaelerys!" Doran's voice boomed. Vaelerys looked away as Arianne rose from her seat.

Doran remained seated, a frown of disappointment evident on his face and eyes of fury.

"How dare I?! How dare you welcome the very family which caused the death of her?! That rancid blood to be mixed with ours once again?!? You will bring death to us all!" Arianne spat like venom. Her manicured nails gripped tightly upon the mahogany table, her knuckles turning a shade of white.

"She is no Targaryen!" Doran seethed as his daughter threw herself from the table. Her scarlet dress flowing in the wind of her trek.

Arianne commanded the guards open the chambers doors for her and she disappeared into the depths of Sunspear Castle.

"I surely didn't miss her." Trystane rolled his eyes as Myrcella subtly admired Ariannes bravery.

"She reminds me of mother." She whispered to her lover.

Doran heavily sighed.

"Vaelerys-"

Vaelerys raised her hand to silence the Prince of Dorne.

"All is well good-brother. She will come around in time. I mean no one harm but i must prove it to her. She is much like Oberyn as they said."

Vaelerys spent the rest of her night alone in her chambers. Samira had gone to attend Arianne no doubt, and her beloved Loiya was an early sleeper.

The princess laid upon her satin couch in her nightgown. She faced the full moon which shown upon the thin curtains of her balcony. She had smoldered her candles, basking in the dim light of the moon.

Vaelerys' mind wandered to the whereabouts of her husband. Whose bed did he warm? What maid did he flirt with now? Did he think of her in this moment as well?

Vaelerys was filled with dread. Arianne was a vital member of House Martell, the heir to the lands Vaelerys was now bound to. And she had already judged her, sentencing her to exile.

Willas Tyrell would soon come. Arianne would surely be in better spirits. But if Vaelerys were ever to hope for a better relation with her niece she would have to sacrifice her plan to entice her husband.

Vaelerys was deeply troubled. Her interests were conflicting. Her plans falling. And her loneliness seeping in.

Her mind wandered to Aurane. He never left her alone, yet now with the flirtations of power and his pride she was left lonesome. Dorne had become her home in a sense as Driftmark never was, but her heart did not feel home.

Vaelerys always knew she was not meant to be in Driftmark nor Dorne. She felt as if part of her longed for somewhere else. But she did not know where.

A knock sounded from behind her.

"It is Samira, Princess." A muffled voice called from the hall.

Vaelerys allowed her entrance, sitting up from her relaxation. Samira noted the darkness of the room.

The servant quietly handed the princess a piece of parchment. Her silver brow knitted as the letter was unsealed, no remanence of wax.

"Has one of my brothers sent a raven?"

"No Princess, this is from Princess Arianne."

Vaelerys felt her stomach drop to her souls. Her slender fingers unrolled the parchment. Samira sighed heavily as the princess began to read. She watched Vaelerys' turquoise eyes as they moved across the page. Her feelings of surprise written evidently within her Valyrian irises.

"There is to be a tourney in three days time in the western part of the city. She has invited me to attend with her."

Vaelerys laid the letter upon her lap as she looked to Samira. Samira's hands rested at her side as she looked down at the letter.

"I spoke with her. Gave her reason."

Vaelerys looked to the maid with a smile. Her hand grasped hers.

"Thank you my dearest Samira."

Vaelerys Velaryon would attend the tourney with her estranged niece.