Twenty-Four

Vaelerys smiled as she read the letter aloud to Loiya. Her brother had married Desmera Redwyne, in wake of the destruction of Stannis Baratheon's fleet. They expect Desmera to come with child very soon. An heir to Driftmark would soon take Vaelerys place and bring comfort to her brother.

"I should sew the babe a swaddle, don't you think Loiya?" Vaelerys's pearl white smile gleamed as she held the letter to her chest. She had always been the youngest of her siblings and her father had never let her congregate with the children of House Velaryon's servants. She had never had the pleasure of being around young. Even Loiya's were not permitted to be near Vaelerys.

"Oh, yes my princess! I used the same swaddle for all my children. By the end of its run, I swear it went from the shade of the Narrow Sea to as dark as Blackwater Bay." The red headed woman's smile faded as she reminisced on her children. She had seen them only weeks ago but she missed them terribly, as well as her husband back home at Driftmark.

Vaelerys frowned as she saw the turmoil in her handmaids eyes. The skirt of her dress swayed as she crossed the floor, soft pats of her leather sandals echoed off the stone walls. Her soft hand's held Loiya's saddened face in her palms. Loiya felt at ease at the princess's touch.

"I promise you, I will convince my brother to let your family come to Dorne to be with you. You do not deserve to be swayed from your life for my benefit."

The tender moment between Vaelerys and Loiya was interrupted by the opening of her chamber doors. A hesitant Samira and one of Prince Doran's guards entered.

"Princess, Prince Doran has asked for your presence on the terrace over looking the Water Gardens. I explained to Parek, that you desire not to see Prince Doran."

Samira had not lied. It had been three weeks since Doran proposed the dissolvement of her marriage and their union in its stead. Doran had shut himself in once more in shame, and Oberyn had been attached to her hip at the news.

After the affections of the night, Oberyn had went astray. As soon as his sisters name left his lips his mood shifted with the tides. His furnace like touch left her cold, and his smirk faded to a frown. As soon as the couple entered the walls of Sunspear, Oberyn left his lady wife without a trace. A guard had escorted her back to her chambers.

Vaelerys did not deny the heartache she felt, but she was neither surprised.

"It is Prince Doran's order, I shall go. Parek, have you seen my husband?"

The guard bowed his head as he spoke to the Lady of Sunspear.

"He was last seen leaving the city in the early hours of the morning, my Princess."

She hummed, her head high as her eyes stared at the floor.

"Well, we must not keep the Prince of Dorne in idle."

Vaelerys lead the way as Parek followed in pursuit of the princess. She hurried to the terrace despite her fears. The worry she held for Doran's fragile heart conquered any anxieties which plagued her. She wished to see if he was well.

The engraved mahogany revealed a frail sickly looking man hunched over a porcelain plate of roasted snake tail. His graying hair was knotted at the ends, his beard grown and ratty. The sight caused an ache in Vaelerys heart.

"My dearest Doran... what has become of you?" Her voice filled with earnest.

The prince's eyes darted as the sound of bells rung in his ears. The grin which appeared on his solemn face brought light to his eyes depleted of joy and youths bliss. He motioned for his sister by law to sit in her seat by the terrace. A seat which held the memories of her beginnings in Dorne, a seat which forged the Prince and Princess's companionship.