Chapter One: Ariana

What does being struck mean?

if you are struck by​/​with something, it seems unusual, interesting, or impressive to you.

"Girl all I know is that if he was my nigga I'd keep his fine ass on lock down. I told you them niggas from South Memphis are a different breed for real." My cousin Tomia said with a mouth full of pizza.

We were just chilling at the food court. Our routine was the same everyday. We both worked at The Wolfchase Mall. I worked at a shoe department store called, Finish Line while Tomia worked at a jewelry store called, Pandora. Now we both hated our jobs, but the bills had to get paid. We were roommates and the bills were spilt between both of our biweekly checks. I made a little bit more than Tomia because I was the assistant manager at Finish Line. If it wasn't for me Tomia would've put a dent in my damn couch; she couldn't keep a job.

For a while I was footing the bills since she was released from jail. Now I offered her a place to stay since nobody from our family fucked with her the way that I did. I loved Tomia like she was my little sister, but she was lazy as fuck. For the first three months after her release, it was hard for her to find a job, because nobody wanted to hire a convicted felon. So, I pulled some strings and got her hired at Pandora, working at the mall with me.

Depending on me was probably the best thing ever to her. I never got on her ass about anything, besides keeping my kitchen cleaned and her room. I wanted her to feel comfortable, while putting my foot down at the same time. Tomia only gave me $300 every two weeks, and that wasn't shit, compared to the big girl bills I had. I knew for a fact her checks were small because she only worked 30 hours a week and made $10.50 for base pay. I couldn't take all her money, so to be fair I bargained for the $300.

                    She had a ride to work and a ride home, so she had no excuse about why she couldn't work. That was her main reason for quitting her other jobs in the first place. I didn't mind being a stepping stone for her because I knew how it felt to need help and not have anyone in your corner. Now back to the matter at hand.

                      We sat in the middle of the food court, clocking all the fine niggas. This one nigga in particular sparked my attention the most because he was different and I didn't know what it was, but I liked it.

                       "By the looks of it he seems to be the boss." I grabbed a slice of meat lovers pizza from the box and put it on the white styrofoam plate. "Look at the way he carry himself and I just know his pockets full from the lump in his Amiri jeans."