Chapter Eighteen

chapter warning: fluff, angst, violence

a/n: i'm sorry.

Bucky's lips were tingling. Fucking tingling from that kiss in front of his family and friends. A part of him had almost forgotten what it was like to kiss you, your last one having been only a week ago. But he hadn't forgotten what it was like to hold you in his arms. The warmth of your body against his days ago when you'd thrown yourself into his arms, wrapped him into your embrace to thank him for getting Wanda to you in time for the wedding.

Ever since the combination bachelor and bachelorette party, Bucky's brain had been in a fog, one that hadn't seemed to lift until the doors opened to reveal you in a white dress on the arm of Tony Stark, making your way down the aisle towards him. There was a part of Bucky that was so thrilled to see you, a part of him that preened at the fact that his lifelong dreams, that he'd long since deemed unattainable, had come true. But those hopes and feelings were doused with a cool bucket of guilt and regret as he remembered everything that had led the two of you to this moment.

So he offered you a small smile, held your hand when he was supposed to and slid that ring onto your finger before pressing a kiss onto your lips, hoping they'd be able to provide all the words he couldn't say, publicly claiming you in front of the world. You'd both walked away from the altar in a daze and it wasn't until the photographer began gathering your friends around for pictures that either of you spoke.

"James...are you okay?" You breathed the words, almost as if you were afraid to hear the answer. And for once in his life, Bucky was completely unsure of how to respond. So he said and did the first thing that he could think of. He slid his hand to yours and intertwined your fingers before whispering.

"I am so sorry, sweet girl."

He heard the hitch in your breathing and dared to look at your eyes, the tears swimming there as you took in your husband and he took in his wife.

His wife.

A dream that was made possible by everything going to absolute shit. A dream that would swiftly become a nightmare.

He raised his thumb to lightly wipe away the tears that had formed on your lashes and he thought he felt your body relax into his, if only a little bit, before he turned back around.

"Thank you, Bucky. For saving my life. I don't believe I've thanked you for that yet. I've blamed you. Time and time again. For more years than I care to count. But I know you're putting your life on the line to save me too and I just...needed you to know that."

Your words were soft but intentional and Bucky could practically feel the emotion oozing out of your words. But he couldn't respond. Couldn't reply. A part of Bucky that knew you well, and had always known you, kept him quiet but urged him to hold your hand and give you a comforting squeeze before the pair of you were swept up in the craziness of the wedding reception before you.

Tony was the first of the family to approach the two of you and as he approached Bucky with fire and fury blazing in his eyes he stuck out his hand, Bucky accepting, and whispered with an intensity that would put Natasha to shame, "so help me, Barnes, do not make me regret this."

Bucky gave Tony a short nod and a swift pump of his hand as the billionaire turned to sweep you into a hug, Pepper not far behind. As more family and friends approached the two of you, it turned into a receiving line, allowing the two of you to greet your guests as they were plied with food and drink and music began to start up in the hall. Bucky's parents gave him a tight squeeze of a hug as they whispered good tidings to the two of you, and the people just kept coming. And coming. And coming. And while the family and friends had been in the front of the line, the back of the line was full of acquaintances, both legitimate and non, that wanted a look at the couple who would be taking Manhattan by storm. The couple that had essentially started a war.