The Attack

To become a werewolf, it is necessary to be bitten by a werewolf in their wolfish form at the time of the full moon. When the werewolf's saliva mingles with the victim's blood, contamination will occur. Majorities of those bitten do not survive the initial attack, which are notoriously brutal.

Lupine Menace p12

。+゚☆゚+。★。+゚☆゚+。★。+゚☆゚+。★。+゚☆゚+。

June 2010

The red moon shone brightly upon the Dark Forest, and Hogwarts was only a few miles away. It was a chilly night for mid-June, the forest floor still faintly damp from the rains earlier in the afternoon. The red glow of the moon seemed to cast a muted red hue on the entire forest as if turning it into a low-budget horror movie.

It was the perfect night for a dark wizard to be illegally selling restricted potion supplies. Auror Harry Potter moved silently through the trees, his partner Auror Harold Greer a few yards to the left of him, trying and failing to move quietly even with the advantage of the damp ground muting his footsteps.

Ron had quit the Aurors six years ago to help his brothers run their joke shop business, which had expanded to several locations. They had reassigned Harry to Auror Harold Greer, a capable older Auror who had been one of the many who had fought in the second wizarding war. Harry worked well with Greer, who, when given the opportunity, would pull out his wallet and begin to show pictures of his kids off. Greer's priority was his family, and he made no secret of that, and frequently pulled Harry back from drowning himself in work.

The Department of Magical Law Enforcement had been tracking this particular wizard for a few weeks and so far he had managed to stay ahead of them, escaping each time they were close. The convenience of the escapes made Harry suspicious that there was someone in the office leaking information. Despite numerous departmental changes and initiatives, corruption was a stubborn malady to cure.

Harry had fought hard to reform the DMLE, but it was a struggle when prejudice was so deep-set and accepted. Hermione had quit the Ministry a few years before advising him that it would be impossible to change the institution without more money or connections than the remaining sacred twenty-eight that still moved behind the scenes still manipulating the government to their whims.

Another twig snapped under Auror Greers' heavy tread and Harry winced. Did the wizard not know the meaning of moving quietly? As they continued to move deeper into the forest, something niggled at Harry's consciousness. There was something wrong. He moved even more cautiously, trying to identify what exactly was bothering him, and abruptly realized that there were no sounds in the dark forest. Except for the crackle and faint crunch coming from Greers' boots to his left, the forest was absolutely silent.

Harry froze as he spotted something moving low to the ground through the trees. What the fuck was that? Then his partner screamed, breaking the silence, and his head whipped around in Greer's direction. Flashes of different colored fur were briefly exposed to red moonlight as they moved almost in unison to attack. What must have been at least twenty werewolves converged on Greer, and his partner disappeared under the pile of viciously biting werewolves screaming for help.

"Greer!" Harry ran towards Greer, his wand out, knockback and binding jinxes emitting continuously the faint whooshing sound of his spells shooting through the air obscured by Greer's repeated screams. Werewolves had moderate resistance to magic - it typically takes two or three stunning spells to actually knock one out - and even then, they roused quickly. Better to try to disable them with binding spells. How the hell were there so many? He hadn't heard of any pack applying for sanctuary within the dark forest.